Wellness

Ideas That Will Keep You Busy for a Two-Month Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We made it! First semester of the 2020-2021 school year over! Now, a HUGE break. Almost too huge… What is someone supposed to do with two months off? Still in the middle of a pandemic? One thing we don’t want to do is ✨spiral.✨So, let’s keep busy while staying safe!

Coloring is always a safe bet, and coloring mandalas is very calming because of the pattern. They always turn out beautiful!

Baking is also a good way to keep busy during the winter season. Since it is chilly out, stay indoors with a nice cup of hot cocoa, and make as many chocolate chip cookies as you can! Making gingerbread houses or decorating your room for the holidays are such fun ways to keep the season alive while staying safe.

It has been a rough nine months for everyone, so holiday cheer is a necessity at this point. Some holiday movie recommendations are:

“The Year Without a Santa Claus”

All of the “Home Alone” movies

“Elf” duh. 

Couple watching Netflix
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

If you want to learn a new hobby, try taking up knitting! Basic knitting is relatively easy, and you can make some awesome warm garments with two simple stitches. The same goes for crocheting. Both of these activities definitely take a good amount of time as well as patience, but the end result of something you can wear or snuggle with is so satisfying. 

Unsplash/ Kelly Sikkema

There is still PLENTY to do after the holidays!

Rearrange your room. Clean it up, move some furniture and watch how your entire room transforms. Something as small as changing which direction your bed faces can make a massive difference.

Start a journal if you do not have one already! It is an amazing way to get out all of your feelings, and closing your journal after an entry can be so satisfying.

If you are into makeup, practice some killer eye looks you can rock when you are back to classes. NikkieTutorials has some very detailed videos on eye looks for people from beginner experience to expert. 

Makeup brushes and flowers
Photo by Nicole De Khors from Burst / Shopify

Work out! You may roll your eyes at this because it’s break, and who wants to work out for fun? But seriously, working out not only makes you feel well physically but also mentally. Working out helps some relieve stress and anger. Simply by jogging for a half-hour or doing any work out of your choice, you may see a difference in yourself physically, which is nice, but mentally it may change your life! 

Athletic Shoes
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Before you know it, two months will have flown by fast, and we are back at college, ready to tackle the rest of the year. These next two months may not be easy, but they can be a period of growth, discovery of new hobbies, improvement in yourself physically and more!

Sofia Staub

Hofstra '24

Sofia Staub is a freshman at Hofstra University. She is studying Public Relations. She loves knitting, dogs and iced coffee.