How to Decorate Your New Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Whenever moving into a new house or apartment the last thing you want is for it to be bland, but after the rent is paid and the furniture is bought, decorating just seems like another high expense. I’ve learned it isn’t. You can decorate your new space on a fairly low budget, and it will look just as good as you imagined.

One of my favorite decorations that I’ve done, for those of you who are crafty, is decorated wooden letters spelling out my name and hung them on my wall. This was super cheap and easy. Wal-Mart has a great crafts section. I paid about $1.50 per letter, and another $0.50 per bottle of paint. You can add on glitter, rhinestones, etc… It’s an adorable, and personal, room decoration that is cheap and tons of fun to make.

Another thing I love is wall decals. Amazon and Etsy have tons of these for less than $20.00.  Whether it’s an inspirational saying or one of your favorite Marilyn Monroe quotes, you’re bound to find something classy and affordable that will add some decoration to you room.

The decoration doesn’t need to be on your wall. It can be a vase of flowers on your nightstand, a bunch of bright throw pillows, a distinct rug, or colorful curtains. All these things will add life to your new space.

A great website to find reasonably prices decorations for your room is Society6. Here I found tons of stuff that I loved and that I could see adding something to my room and my bathroom in my new house.

Another great place for apartment decorations that is totally worth the higher prices is Urban Outfitters. If you haven’t checked out their apartment section yet I suggest you do. Their tapestries are around $50.00 and they are huge! They’ve also got a bunch of interesting things that would stand out in a not so colorful room.

Marshalls Home Goods is yet another place where you can find cute things for a discount. High-end bedding, furniture, wall décor, and mirrors can all be found here for a good price. 

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum. 
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!