Fitness Classes
Fitness Classes
Original photo by Raina Rahman
Wellness > Health

Find Your Groove This Semester With College Fitness Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With gym anxiety and “gymtimidation” scaring newcomers, group fitness classes allow anyone to start at the gym. From sweating the stress away with “Total Bootcamp” to easing your nerves with tranquil yoga, there is something for everyone at Hofstra University’s Fitness Center. Most colleges offer group classes in their recreation centers, so students and faculty can experiment with diverse classes to find their niche. Our team of instructors are not only well-trained but well-versed in teaching anyone coming from any fitness level. These classes provide motivation, accountability, and a sense of belonging as they foster an inclusive environment for those with similar interests.

Campus Recreation offers group exercise classes Monday through Thursday with our new in-person instructors and one Sunday morning yoga class. Even though some classes may sound more rigorous than others, they are geared towards getting your body moving and heart rate up, which is proven to be not only a mood booster but also a stress reliever, which is crucial to have amidst semester scaries. 

One of the many classes offered here is a type of yoga called “Slow Flow” with Instructor Lianna. After a long day of school, you can wind down with this group exercise and learn a variety of yoga positions. This event in our yoga studio teaches body and breath awareness skills that you can take with you on the mat and incorporate into your everyday life off the mat when stressors arise. Lianna also teaches Yinyasa yoga on Wednesdays, which is “a dynamic fusion using both Yin style of long-held, passive poses with Yang style of Vinyasa (flow) for all levels.” She also holds “Gentle Yoga” on Thursdays, focusing more on meditation.

“Whenever we show up to the mat, just as we made an active decision to show up, we have the ability to choose how far we want to go (power of choice).”

Instructor Lianna
Fitness Classes
Original photo by Raina Rahman

The “Core and Curve 101” class with Coach Ty on Tuesdays has a total shift in energy from our yoga sessions. In this active group exercise, you will be taught a variety of dynamic activities that work the core using our BOSU Balance Ball Trainers and plastic steppers. This workout class is meant to push you to your limit; however, it is suitable for all fitness levels and can be altered to your liking and desired difficulty. Anyone is welcome and prepare to not only blow off steam from your day’s stress but also build muscle and endurance. Tyler also teaches “Total Bootcamp” right outside our Recreation center using the outdoor gym equipment set on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

“There is no reason to be intimidated by my class, I make the exercises suitable to everyone’s different strengths. We focus on using body weight exercises to get a total body workout. We make sure the workout is fun, exciting, and inclusive.”

Coach Ty
Fitness Classes
Original photo by Raina Rahman

For the complete schedule of group exercise classes offered for Fall 2023 and other event offerings, please visit the Campus Recreation page through the Hofstra Website or GetInvolvedHU database.

Raina Rahman

Hofstra '24

Junior first-generation community health major with a passion for writing!