kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Dorm Exercises To Work Off Your Halloween Candy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Since we don’t have the luxury of trick-or-treating anymore in college and must buy our own Halloween candy, we are also stuck with the consequences of working off our Hallo-weekend indulges while preparing for midterms. Not only is it important to stay active this time of year to upkeep your general health, but it’s a great stress reliever as well. Is the gym too far from your room? Need something productive to do in between study breaks? Here are a few creative dorm workouts to work off this year’s candy binge.

The Fitness Marshall

I’ve been obsessed with Caleb Marshall, who goes by the Fitness Marshall on YouTube, for months now. On his channel, you can find fun, short workouts/cooldowns to nearly every song imaginable. Grab your roommate and do a quick workout to your favorite throwback jam or latest top 40 hit.

T.V. inspired workouts

Check out Pinterest for workouts based on actions in your favorite T.V. shows. Doing 15 sit-ups every time someone says the hospital’s name in Grey’s Anatomy will sculpt your abs in no time! If your go-to procrastination method is Netflix, this is a great way to kill two birds with one stone.

Take the stairs

Whether you live on the second floor or the twelfth, taking the stairs is a great way to incorporate exercise into your daily routine and for a last-minute workout. Make yourself a short workout playlist and don’t be embarrassed to hit the stairs at 2 am. For a simple routine mix-up, do a few sets of 15 squats, chair dips, and pushups. Don’t forget a cool-down run at the end!

Dance party

When all else fails, nothing beats a hardcore jam session. Dancing is a great way to get your heart racing and stretch every part of your body in the process. Make sure you put in your headphones if it’s quiet hours!

*Gif Courtesy of giphy.com  

Yoga

Did you know you can burn up to 600 calories in one hot yoga session? This doesn’t mean it okay to blast the heat in your room, but Yoga with Adriene is a great YouTube channel for beginners and yogis alike, with plenty of routines for fat burners and targeted strength training. A 20-minute daily session in your dorm can build up strength in your upper body and core, no mat required.

Laramie is a sophomore studying mass media studies and sociology from Dallas, Texas. She is a true Taurus who loves discussing movies and recommending music. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her brothers of Zeta Phi Eta and sisters of Delta Phi Epsilon. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram: @laramieknox.