kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Weight Loss Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Living a healthy lifestyle is important to many of us collegiettes! Seems to me people are always questioning what is the next best thing to do to lose weight. One of the most important things to do if you are looking to lose weight is eating right. Monitoring what goes into your body can help guide you to your ultimate weight loss goals. Of course, this all depends on your metabolism, because everyone’s bodies are unique. But after doing research and reading articles on this topic, I’ve complied a list of some of the best foods to eat if you are trying to shed a few pounds before spring break.

PROTEINS:

Beans- These make a fabulous source of protein especially if you’re vegetarian. Black beans for example, don’t contain saturated fat like red meat. All the fiber keeps you feeling full, so you’ll eat less throughout the day. Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, and kidney beans are among the top for slimming down because they have more protein than fat.

Salmon- One of the best fish you can eat because it’s an excellent lean source of protein. It’s packed full of omega 3s, which are amazing for your skin, hair and nails. Large amounts of vitamin B12 are also found in salmon.

FIBER/CARB:

Oats- Your body needs fuel to lose weight, so don’t cut carbs completely out of your diet. Oats are a good option being extremely full of fiber. A serving of oats for breakfast will help you stay full throughout the day. Eating healthy carbs will boost your metabolism.

Quinoa- This “superfood” grain is gaining popularity in the health food world. Quinoa is a complete protein, packed with vitamins, fiber and iron. And it’s highly recommended for gluten-free people!

GREEN VEGGIES:

Kale- Vegetables are good for weight loss because they are low in calories. Kale is nutrient dense and can be eaten raw or cooked. Along with being super healthy, it also contains vitamin A.

Spinach- This vegetable makes for a much better salad base than iceburg lettuce. Spinach is rich in vitamins K and C and contains lots of iron. Spinach can be blended into a healthy smoothie or folded into an egg omelet for a nutritious breakfast.

Broccoli- These little trees are a great source of fiber and calcium, plus it’s super low in calories. Tastes great raw in a salad, with hummus, or steamed as a side with your protein for dinner. It contains vitamins A, C, and K.

FRUITS:

Watermelon- Being mostly water, water watermelons are one of the go to fruits for losing weight.

Grapefruit- This sour fruit contains vitamin C and potassium. Eating a half or a whole grapefruit before you eat a meal is said to enhance your body’s fat burning performance.

THE GOOD FAT:

Almonds- A study printed in The Journal of the International Society of Sports and Nutrition found that almonds actually help you burn more fat than carbs during a workout. Have a handful before you hit the gym. Almond slivers go well sprinkled on top of oatmeal.

Avocado- Who isn’t obsessed with avocados? There are so many ways to eat this delicious fruit. It’s the good kind of fat, a healthy mono-saturated fat with fiber and protein. Eat a quarter or a half and watch your belly fat disappear.

I am an aspiring journalist studying at Hofstra University. My interests include, fashion, techno, and travel. Dirty chai is my favorite. I'm obsessed with red wine. And vegan ice cream is where it's at. xx
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.