A Look Back at the Summer – Flower Therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The Finnish Summer is brief but beautiful: it is a time when the earth sprouts out a palette of plants, among which a variety of flowers begin to bloom. Going outside to discover the floral wonders of nature is a fun and restorative way of spendig a lazy Summer’s day. Flowers are said to have therapeutic powers: the combinations of scent, symmetrical form, and color can aid in reducing stress by way of experiencing moments of harmonious calm as well as energetic positivity. Autumn is already here, but these photographs taken over the course of the past Summer bring some much needed light to the darkening November evenings. And remember that the upcoming Winter won’t stop you from adding some therapeutic vibes indoors: decorate the home with flowers of your choosing and enjoy the positive effects on your mood! 

Daisies always brighten up the day with their light-hearted appeal:

Lily of the Valley, Finland’s national flower:

Heart’s Ease. These small, delicate flowers can usually be found growing on rocky surfaces in late Spring/early Summer.

Bluebells, spotted during a walk in a Helsinki forest.

A Peony. Bright, pink, and energizing.

True Forget-Me-Not, a tiny blue flower found blooming by a grassy brook one Summer’s evening:

All photos © Tuuli Pienimaa

Helsinki Contributor