Wellness > Health

HerFitness 2020: Making Healthier Lifestyle Choices and Treating Your Body Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Pretty Girls Sweat and Her Campus came together to bring the women on Hampton University’s campus an event that they would be proud to attend. Girl talk, workout sessions and healthy lifestyle conversations to get women in the best shape of their life (mentally and physically) is what attendees experienced at HerFitness. A space filled with hype workout music, friends and free Boxed Water, this event was truly an inspirational moment for everyone in the room. 

Pretty Girls Sweat led the evening with a workout session that got everyone in the room moving. The workout routine focused on the butt, legs, and stomach which can be our most prized assets as women. The good thing about these workouts is that they can easily be done in a dorm room with no shame. If you need extra moral support, get your roommate in on the fun too! Being active at least three times a week will lower the risk of getting some diseases and will improve blood flow to your heart. No matter where you exercise, your body will thank you for your commitment to staying healthy. Remember the short term and long term goals you have which will encourage you to make room for the gym in your busy schedule. Achieving a sexy spring break bod, fitting into those jeans that are in the back of your closet or wanting to reduce stress levels – whatever it may be, find a goal and stick to it! 

An interactive panel followed the workout session where attendees had the chance to gain insight into their lifestyle choices. It was evident that many people who attended used the new year to embark on their healthy lifestyle journey. Questions from the audience ranged from veganism to counting carbs and learning how to stay consistent in their routines. The answers from the panelists were filled with facts yet were still encouraging for all of the newbies out there. 

Check out some of our favorite moments from the panel:

• You are more than the number that you see on the scale, remember that.

• Don’t be hard on yourself! Start small by giving yourself room to adjust to your new lifestyle choice.

• Learn what works best for you and your body. What works for your friends may not work for you. 

• Familiarize yourself with your body type and adjust your workout plan accordingly. 

• Hold yourself accountable using apps such as MyFitnessPal

• You don’t have to be glamorous to go to the gym. Ditch the lashes and lip gloss, sis. 

If you missed our first annual HerFitness, don’t sweat it, girl! Use this resource to curate your very own workout plan for 2020. Be sure to check out more pictures from the event on our Instagram page and subscribe to our Youtube channel to watch our recap video!

Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.