Wellness > Health

15 Exercises You Can Do In Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

We all know by now that exercise is important to living a healthy life. However, while in college, it can be hard to fit in time to workout on a daily basis, and most of us can’t afford a fancy gym membership. But don’t give up just yet; there are plenty of exercises that you can do in your room that don’t require any machines or a certain skill level. Try a mixture of these 15 simple exercises every day, and before you know it you’ll be working out like a pro.

Cardio:

1. Jumping jacks

Jumping jacks may seem like something you did in elementary school, but they’re actually a great and simple way to get your whole body moving.

2. Running in place

This sounds really boring, but you can mix it up by playing some upbeat music and turning your running into more of a dance move.

3. Stairs

You will have to venture outside of your room for this one (gasp), but running up and down the stairs in your building is an easy way to get your heart rate going as well as build muscle in your legs. Feel free to stop and act casual if you see someone else going up the stairs.

4. Burpees

I can’t say I’ve ever enjoyed burpees, but they help work out your whole body without you even having to think about it. Start on the ground in the position of a push up, then bring your knees to your chest so that you’re in a squatting position, and finally jump in the air with your arms raised. Repeat as many times as you like.

Legs:

1. Squats

Squats are very simple to do but still are one of the best exercise to tone your thighs, glutes and butt. For a more intense workout, try lowering and raising your body as slowly as possible into the squat.

2. Chair steps

All you need for this one is a chair! Simply step onto and off of your desk chair. This also works as a great alternative for actual stairs.

3. Lunges

This one is pretty self explanatory. You can mix up a regular lunge by twisting your torso with each step, or by lifting weights while you lunge.

4. Leg raises

Lay on your side and raise your top leg into the air and then lower it. Repeat. Switch to your other side. Again, you will feel it more if you move your leg slowly.

Arms:

1. Push ups

If you have a hard time completing a pushup, you can let your knees touch the ground and do a pushup from there. Don’t feel bad about yourself for doing anything halfway; exercising is a process and you will be able to do anything with practice. 

2. Chair raises

You get to use your chair again! Put your hands on the edge of your chair (make sure it can support that weight) and face your body upwards with only your heels touching the ground. Lower yourself closer to the ground while bending your arms. Then push yourself back up so that your body is straight again. Repeat.

3. Lift weights

Not every college student is going to own weights, but you can lift just about anything. Try using a heavy textbook for example. Lift the object at a variety of angles, such as over your head or as a bicep curl.

Abs:

1. Plank

All you need is a floor for this one. Hold anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. It helps if you play your favorite music while you do this so that you can distract yourself from the pain of the plank.

2. Side planks

This is just like a plank but on your side. Prop yourself up on your forearm and the side of your foot. For a harder version, try lowering and raising yourself to the ground.

3. Sit ups

If you can’t get your roommate to hold your feet for you, try tucking your toes under your chair or hooking it on a shelf to hold your legs.

4. Bicycle crunches

Lay on your back, put your hands behind your head, and raise your knees towards your chest. Lean forward so that your elbow almost touches the opposite knee, alternating which elbow you raise. It should look vaguely like you are pedaling a bicycle.

As always, remember to stretch well before and after you work out, and drink lots of water. Turn on some music and get moving!