This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

I don’t know about you, but it’s hard to find time and effective ways to relax as a college kid. This semester I am taking a relaxation class at school which has taught me multiple ways to relax during my busy schedule. I’m not just talking about grabbing a bag of chips and settling in on the couch to watch some Netflix in between class. I’m talking about relaxing to the point where you actually are able to feel your entire body calm down and actually let go of some of the stress of being a college student. Here are ten different ways to relax:  

1. Grab a journal, set a timer for about five minutes and just write about your thoughts and feelings until the timer goes off.

2. Download the app “Headspace” and go through the “Basics” course of meditation. The sessions are only about 5-10 minutes each, but they are great!

3. Go for a walk outside. Get some fresh air to help clear your mind.

4. Do an adult coloring book. Coloring actually causes your brain to experience relief by entering a meditative state.

5. Use the app “Simple Habit.” This is another great quick meditation app. The exercises are also about 5 minutes long which is perfect for fitting into a busy schedule. You can also search for a ton of different types of meditation depending on how you are feeling that day which I really enjoy.

6. Do some breathing exercises

7. Listen to some calming music. Music with a slower tempo can help calm your mind, relax your muscles, and make you feel less stressed.

8. Enjoy some aromatherapy. Grab a diffuser, put in some essential oils and enjoy the calming scent as you chill out for a bit. It is also beneficial to have a diffuser going while you do your meditation, coloring, journaling, etc.

9. Autogenic training. You can create your own, or look some up online. I like to listen to videos of it on YouTube. Autogenic training is basically a series of self-statements about warmth and heaviness of the body. The training creates a positive effect on the autonomic nervous system and really does make you feel relaxed.

10. Lay down somewhere, get comfortable, and take a nap for about 30-45 minutes and you will wake up feeling refreshed.

Hey, I'm Corbyn Jenkins! I am a Junior at Gustavus Adolphus College majoring in English & minoring in Film & Media Studies. In my free time I enjoy art, photography, exploring, going to concerts, and spending time with my friends and family.