This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Self care is such an important tool to implement into our lives. Especially as students, it can be challenging to juggle school, work, exercise, and a social life without burning out. Implementing self care can be as simple as a ten minute face mask or reading one chapter of your favourite book. The best part is that it can be anything that takes your stress away, ‘fills your cup up,’ or puts you in a better mood. Here are my favourite self care rituals:

1. Hot Bath

I love taking a hot bath with epsom salts, essential oils, a good book, and a face mask. Baths are a great way to detox and relax at the end of the day.

2. Read

I love reading, and need do it more often. Lately I’ve challenged myself to read a few pages every night before I go to bed.

3. Go for a Walk

It’s incredible how quickly stress can go away when you go for a walk and enjoy nature, especially if it is a beautiful sunny day! I love taking walks during high stress times, such as exams! It’s a great break to take to clear the mind and get some fresh air!

4. Exercise

Although I typically think of relaxing things for self-care, exercise is often on my self-care list. Exercise can be a great way to release any tension, and getting a good sweat on always feels good afterwards! Although, listen to your body. Sometimes self-care could be saying no to the gym. If you need to take a rest day make sure you do!

5. Sleep

Self-care for me lately has been going to bed early. Normally midnight is my cut off, but to avoid burnout in the afternoons, I’ve been trying to go to bed between 10 and 11 and getting 8-9 hours of sleep! It can be hard to wind down or stop hanging out with roommates, but an extra couple hours of sleep can be a great addition to your self-care ritual! 

6. Drink Tea

I love tea, especially because it has turned into a habit of whenever I’m stressed, or if want a warm hug in a cup to accompany me when I’m doing homework, I make a cup of tea. I like having at least one cup of tea, in the morning, evening, or sometimes on the go!

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!