Image of Katrina making bubbles at a park
Katrina Stephany
Wellness

Coping, Surviving and Thriving during COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

We are all living through a stressful and uncertain time in our lives. As students, many of us have had the end of our semester turned upside down. It is now mandatory to finish class assignments online, with little motivation or desire to do much of anything at all. I am in isolation with my wife and son, which means that we at least have each other to support as we ride the complicated tides facing us all. For some, especially in the Queer community, they may not have these same kinds of support – and the sense of isolation and uncertainty can lead to increased anxiety and depression. We all miss the daily contact with friends, and Social Media, texting, Zoom parties and Skype conferences seem a poor substitute for face-to-face contact with the people we love and who love us.

I, for one, spent the first week of physical isolation doing little more than watching Netflix, playing Final Fantasy 14, spending the day in pyjamas, and eating bags of chips and Bulk Barn candies. As it became apparent that we were in this for the ‘long haul,’ however, I realized the need to change the ways I was coping if my family and I were going to get through the next few months. I realized that I needed to work less on just surviving COVID-19, but to thrive and find some measure of happiness. I developed a small list of strategies for myself, which I will share here. I hope that some of these might help others who are living through uncertainty.

Tips and Strategies for Managing Stress during COVID-19

1.) Get dressed in the morning as if you were going to work or school. Staying in pyjamas all day and every day can begin to affect how we feel about ourselves.

2.) Create a daily (and weekly) schedule for yourself. Just because everything around us is uncertain and unstable doesn’t mean we can’t create a bit of order in our own lives. Pretend you are still going to classes or to work and set aside blocks of time for working, cleaning, eating, and relaxing.

3.) Prepare meals and eat at specific times. As much as possible, eat at the table without TV or phones, instead of plopping down on the couch while distracted with other things. If you are living with others, try to come together and socialize during mealtimes.

4.) Set aside a time each day to get outside (away from others, of course) and go for walks or sit and enjoy some quiet time with coffee, tea, or your favourite drink. If the weather is poor, try and do one of the many free fitness videos that can be found online. Some that I have seen include yoga, belly dance, and simple bodyweight routines. Physical activity is beneficial for us – all of those happy little endorphins running around your body do a lot to improve our mood and increase our immune systems.

5.) Be willing to be silly. No one can see you anyway. It is your time to turn up the tunes, dance around the house, and wear stupid or sexy clothes that make you happy.

6.) Last, but never least, do something that is sexually satisfying (solo or with a partner(s)). Our pleasure is so important to help us get through even the most difficult of times.

Katrina is currently fulfilling a life-long dream of pursuing theatre studies, and is in her first year working toward her BA in Honours Theatre Studies with a Minor in Creative Writing. She loves performing on stage, and is actively involved in theatre Improv, comedy, stage production, and dance. Currently working on her ‘bucket list’, she has started taking classes in both Burlesque and Belly Dance. At home, Katrina enjoys reading, crafting, and watching Netfix together with her wife and son. As a Queer woman, she is actively engaged in her community advocating for LGBTQ+ rights.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!