This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

On February 26, 2019, the recently declared Pink Level chapter of Her Campus at Georgia State University made sweet strides in efforts to share their love for the organization and influential women.

The event, titled “Snack and a Fact,” took place during their semesterly Pink Week, a series of events to acknowledge the organization’s founding and continued success. This semester’s Pink Week theme was titled HERstory in celebration of Black History Month. 

Photograph Courtesy of Ebone Harris

To participate in the event, students had to read a Black History fact about influential women of the past out loud. In exchange, they were given two free cookies, which is pretty darn sweet!

If it weren’t the baked goods that drew students to their table (of course it was), it was the opportunity to learn about women who made admirable contributions to society and the progression of black people.

Pioneers such as Charlayne Hunter-Gault (the first black woman to enroll at UGA, 1961) and model, Maria Borges (the first black model to walk Victoria’s Secret runway with natural hair, 2015) are just two of the many overlooked trailblazers whom we acknowledged during this event. 

Photograph Courtesy of Ebone Harris

In observing the students’ smiles, swift education and overall engagement, there’s no doubt that the amazing young ladies of Her Campus GSU made an impact as we wrapped up the end of Black History Month.

If you were unable to attend HC GSU’s Pink Week this semester, be on the lookout for the next week-long celebration next semester. For the latest updates, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

Sophomore, Georgia State University. Major: Studio Art
Sierra Jenkins is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and African American studies. Jenkins aspires to enlighten and inform others through her writing. She believes it is important to have conversations and create dialogue around topics that aren't always discussed publicly. Jenkins strives to break societal barriers through her use of words and set an example for other women from all walks of life.