This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

After so much false hope, it’s hard to say when being outside (maskless) will feel like less of a crime. But with 15% of the population fully vaccinated, those days are in view.

Now, the question is, are you socially ready to take on the outside world?

What with changes in our bodies, habits and separation from our (pandemic) pets, reunions in classrooms, parties and workspaces may be markedly tense for some.

Luckily, we can gradually ease back into the social sphere without intense anxiety by intentionally embarrassing ourselves, AKA, exposure therapy.

Exposure therapy is a technique used in cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) where the person is exposed to a stressful situation in a controlled environment. Over time, the anxiety is alleviated through repetition as the person has more control over how they choose to respond.

Here are some ways you can fail on purpose to gradually reduce social anxiety:

If you have social anxiety…

Be the first to say hello! Ask that dumb question. Introduce yourself to that intimidating executive. It won’t be easy, but it’ll be worthwhile.

Tell the person something interesting that has just happened to you or mention something about them.

When we intentionally place ourselves in potentially embarrassing situations, we become aware of our body’s immediate reaction and response.

With consistency,

• we rewrite those automatic fear responses
  • realize our fears are smaller when they’re confronted
  • we seize more opportunities to relate

Original illustration by Kristina Stapelfeld

Best case scenario…

In a best-case scenario, you have a good conversation with a stranger or acquaintance and receive an opportunity to earn, connect, and learn? In this scenario, your confidence receives an immediate boost, making future interactions easier.

How would you benefit financially if you practiced by negotiating your credit card APR?

How would you benefit professionally if spent more time getting to know your boss despite possible imposter syndrome?

How would you benefit socially by being the first to open up in that awkward group setting online?

Her Campus Design

Worst (also good) case scenario…

Other times, people will disengage and the social interaction leaves you feeling embarrassing or uncomfortable. That’s still valuable!

“Failed” interactions reveal insights that we wouldn’t have learned if we stayed silent.

If you never had that cringey interview, you wouldn’t know how to present yourself the next time. And if you never pushed that sales pitch at work, you’d remain uncomfortable persuading others.

Mwd Smiling
Neula Ha/ Her Campus Media

Consistency softens the blow of rejection, increases chances of success and unleashes a greater sense of confidence. When we return to work or school, tiny crucial conversation is how we build relationships with bosses and peers.

This is not to say we are out of the woods yet, so hold on to your face mask. Still, as we turn this crucial corner, you can begin to stretch your social skills and start thinking about life outside.

Georgia State University c/o 2021
The GSU chapter of Her Campus