This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It’s hard to believe that this year is only four months away from being over. Several events have transpired this past year that have affected a lot of people’s mental health. The world seemed to come to a halt when Kobe and Gigi Bryant tragically passed away at the end of January 2020. Then our country became infected with a new contagious illness, COVID-19. In the mix of all of this we still have police brutality and protesting happening locally and globally. COVID-19 single handedly ruined a lot of people’s livelihoods, businesses and has even become a hot political topic. How does one stay positive when it seems like COVID-19 has no end in sight? The following tips are suggestions on how to keep your mental health intact. 

1. Know When To Log Off Social Media

Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

When quarantining started back in March, social media became flooded with TikTok videos showcasing individuals’ creativity and talents. After a while, I noticed that the content online started to become more crude yet again. People are okay with harassing and bullying others simply because it’s all taking place virtually. This means no one is truly held responsible for their actions. I see constant debates between people that take COVID-19 seriously and those who do not. This type of content can become overwhelming when it turns into pure negativity. The best thing to do is mute triggering words and log off for the time being. 

2. Get Some Fresh Air

Wearing a mask for hours throughout the day will make you not want to leave your house, especially if you have been working with the general public. However, it’s still good that you get fresh air when you can. This means going outside for a thirty-minute walk by yourself or with your dog. You can do some yoga in your backyard or even go for a swim if you have access to a pool. Whatever you chose to do, just remember that your body and mind will thank you for it later.

women doing exercises
Photo by Luis Quintero from Pexels

3. Support Your Local Businesses

The National Academy of Sciences reported that, “43% of businesses were temporarily closed and that employment had fallen by 40%”. Considering small businesses typically employ 50% of the workforce, these new statistics are alarming. The best thing we can do as citizens is to shop, order to-go or donate what you can to these small businesses. Not only will this make you feel better but it will also bring that small business gratitude, something that has no price tag.  Being that we are currently living through a pandemic, the least we can do is support and uplift the people and local businesses around us. 

The year is coming to an end but that doesn’t mean there isn’t time to still make the best of it. Remaining positive during trying times speaks a lot to one’s character. Wear your mask, wash your hands, be kind and stay safe. 

Staff writer @ GSU
The GSU chapter of Her Campus