This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Griffith Gold Coast chapter.

Going off to university and living on your own for the first time can be a difficult, especially when it comes to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. From going out every weekend to pulling all nighters and ordering pizza when you get home from the bar, eating and keeping active can be extremely tricky. Don’t look back at the end of your first year of uni and wish you could have done it differently. Here are 10 easy ways to beat the freshman 15!

1. GO OUTSIDE! Even if the weather is freezing try your best to get outside. If you’re having a bad day and feeling tired, fresh air will help you feel better and give you more energy. Whether you’re lying around all day hung-over or sitting at your desk studying for an exam, go for a walk outside and you’ll be surprised how refreshed you feel afterwards.

2. GET ACTIVE! Make an effort to go the gym or do some form of physical activity for an hour at least 3 times a week. Sweating and releasing those endorphins will leave you in a better mood and will make you feel better about that McDonald’s you ate after the bar last night. The Uni fitness centre at Griffith Gold Coast offers tons of classes that are both fun and an awesome workout. There are a variety of classes you can take such as body pump, yoga, pole dance and pole fit, spin, zumba and pilates. Stop making excuses and get active!

3. DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Water not only acts as a cleanser but also helps you stay energized throughout the day. Get in the habit of bringing a water bottle with you wherever you go to keep you hydrated.

4. EAT HEALTHY! Eating healthy is probably the most challenging but most important part of living a healthy lifestyle. Choosing foods that are rich in nutrients such as fruits and vegetables are a vital part of a healthy diet. Eat proportional sized meals, NEVER skip breakfast, and try to avoid eating late in the evening. If you’re just learning how to cook on your own for the first time, check out Pinterest for some tasty and healthy recipes such as this one! All you need for this quick, delicious, and energy boosting breakfast is peanut butter or almond butter, a banana, and chia seeds.

5. HAVE WILL POWER! It can be extremely hard to go grocery shopping and not pick up that that bag of gummy worms or that box of double stuffed oreos. It’s all about having will power and the ability to say no to things you know you don’t need. This not only saves you heaps of money but will also make it easier to kick those cravings and maintain healthy eating habits.

6. GRAB A BUDDY! Whether it’s cooking together or going for a workout together, eating healthy and keeping active is so much easier and fun to do with someone else. Grab a friend and motivate each other to stick to your goals.

7. NO, YOU DON’T NEED ANOTHER TEQUILA SHOT! Yes it’s your first year and you’re finally legal to drink and go to the bar, which don’t get me wrong is always a good time, but that doesn’t mean that its okay to binge drink every single weekend. Not only does a hangover take its toll and leave you feeling absolutely awful and exhausted, a night of excessive drinking can take days to recover from. As well, the amount of calories you consume in each drink all adds up.

8. GET YOUR SLEEP! Getting 8 ½ hours of sleep each night is essential to maintaining a healthy lifestyle and feeling good. Even if you’re pulling an all nighter try to get at least a few hours of sleep and drink lots of water so you’re not left feeling drained the next day. Getting too much sleep or not enough sleep can leave you feeling tired and unmotivated. In terms of napping throughout the day, try to limit yourself to one 30-minute nap.

9. HAVE A ROUTINE! Whether its going to the gym the same time every week, going to sleep at the same time every night, or eating your meals at the same time each day, having a routine creates stability and in the long run will make you feel better and make it easier to fall into good habits.

10. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE! Surrounding yourself with good friends and positive vibes will keep you in good spirits and will be easier for you to motivate yourself to eat healthy and to keep active. Being happy is the most important element in living a healthy lifestyle!