This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Last semester, I had a life changing experience. For the first time in my life, I experienced a darker feeling of sadness and anxiety. A feeling I never thought I would experience in my life came in the form of depression, and it scared the hell out of me.

Now before you ask, I don’t know what caused me to enter this state. I THOUGHT I was happy, and everything was coming up for me. I had just turned 21 in January, my grades were amazing, and I was accomplishing big things in my leadership positions; but I just wasn’t myself. I was making irrational decisions in my life that suffered both major and minor consequences. I gave up on committing to some responsibilities because I didn’t feel up to it and wasn’t giving it my full potential. I was hurting the people I loved the most. I hardly got out of bed, and when I did, I literally had to drag myself out it. 

I was in the sunken place and I did not know why.

As the semester persisted, a lot of things did improve, but a lot of things did get worse. I was irritable and angry at everyone and everything and I could not understand why. There were days when I just sat in my room and talked to no one for no reason at all because I couldn’t even mutter a positive word to say. It got to the point where I drank excessively almost every weekend just so that I could numb the feeling.

I had got to my lowest, and I didn’t know what to do.

But with time it did get better. It took a lot of crying and self-reflection over these past couple of months to process exactly what happened to me. I had to come to terms with the fact that I was suffering through a mental health crisis and I needed help. I realized I had to take a break for me and for my sanity so that I could get better and be better. I had to love me for being me with all the imperfections included.

In that time, I accomplished what I thought would be the impossible. I got up every day and meditated positivity in my life even when I didn’t feel as powerful. I put a smile on my face even though I felt like I was dying inside. I got help, and I wasn’t afraid to talk about it or admit to it. I was giving myself the break that I needed and it felt transformative.

RELATED: How to Cope with Mental Illness While in College

And through it all, my love for writing stayed the same, even when I thought it had diminished. I realized it was what helped me cope in the best way and because of that, I’ve returned to Her Campus George Mason. My articles are a reflection of my life and what I experience – the good and the ugly. It has been my safe haven since I was a little girl and I am forever thankful for where it has gotten me. I just needed to take some time off to get back to the normal me so that I could give you all the best part of it.

It’s been a journey collegiettes, but I’m back and better than ever. Let’s finish this journey from start to finish together. 

Forever strong,

Bri Hayes

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com