This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

We have hit the mid-semester mark, and with that comes the influx of exams, papers, and never-ending assignments. Mid-semester slumps can happen to the best of us, and it is normal to feel tired and overwhelmed at this point in the semester. Unfortunately, the work still must get done, so here are six pieces of advice including steps towards self-care and productivity that can help you recharge and get ready to tackle the rest of the semester head-on.

1. Make a list and prioritize the important items

When I’m feeling totally overwhelmed, I like to make a list of every single thing that I have to do, including homework, projects, upcoming tests and quizzes, as well as personal and work obligations. After I’ve made this master list, I rank everything in terms of importance and urgency by assessing when they must be done, as well as how important it is to my grade. If something is important and due in the near future, I will rank that higher on my list compared to a smaller homework assignment that is due at the end of the week. This is a trick that I commonly use because it helps me get organized, and I feel less stressed because it gives me a timeline to follow so that I know when to do things and when they must be done by.

2.  It doesn’t have to be perfect — it just has to get done

I consistently struggle with procrastination because I get anxious at the thought of submitting something that doesn’t meet my standards or because I am scared of failure. This idea has at times led me to not complete and submit assignments at all. Obviously, getting a zero as a grade is going to have far worse implications than submitting an imperfect assignment and receiving a bad grade. But sometimes the best option is to just get it done, even if it is a little sloppy, and move on to other things. It’s hard to shift this mindset, and I still struggle a lot with perfectionism and procrastination, but you have to be gentle with yourself and allow yourself to be imperfect at times. We are all flawed, and our ability to be able to recognize and improve our flaws is what makes us human.

3. Relaxation is key

The last thing you want to do is burn yourself out. If you’re feeling tired, listen to the signals that your body is trying to send you. Although productivity and grind culture has taught us to feel guilty if we are not spending all 24 hours of our day in constant motion, it is essential to take breaks and allow our mind and body to rest. Relaxation can take on many forms whether it’s curling back into your bed and taking a nap or going on a walk around your neighborhood to recharge.

4. Reach out for support

Sometimes it can feel like you are out there struggling alone, but don’t be afraid to reach out to your friends and family, they are a built-in support system and can help motivate you and encourage you to keep pushing towards your goals. Sometimes you also just need a break to take your mind off the pressure of schoolwork, so phone a friend and make plans to hang out and get your mind off of things for a while.  

5. Don’t be afraid to ask for help

Asking for help can be hard and it’s very hard to let go of your pride and admit that you’re in over your head. There are so many academic resources that you can turn to if you are struggling, and they are all included in our tuition so why not utilize them? Professors can be very intimidating to approach, but for the most part, they also want to see their students succeed in their courses so if you ask them for help they may be able to help you and it’s good to develop a relationship with your professors on campus. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by fast-approaching deadlines and assignments, be honest with your professor, and they will most likely do their best to help and accommodate you.

6.  Remember that the finish line is near

Although the semester can be stressful and overwhelming, it also goes by quickly. It helps me to look forward to Thanksgiving break because I know that once we have reached that point, the semester is practically over. If you are struggling to get motivated remember that we are at the midpoint of the semester and the end is so close. Try to make plans for Thanksgiving and winter break so that you have something to look forward to so that you’re motivated to keep on going when things are tougher.

It can be hard to stay motivated through a mid-semester slump but keep your heads up collegiettes, the end of the semester is approaching faster than you think. Good luck with midterms. You got this!

Amira B

George Mason University '22

Amira is a student at George Mason University pursuing a degree in Global and Community Health. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, baking, and experimenting with fashion and makeup. In the future, she hopes to work in the field of Public Health and be able to travel the world.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com