This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Thanksgiving is November 23rd, and if you are anything like me, this time of year stresses you out. Everyone is cooking various turkeys, hams, sausages and many other types of meats throughout the holiday.. all of which are not vegetarian. It may seem impossible to have healthy and delicious vegetarian holiday meals for Thanksgiving when you are used to easy recipes. But in reality, there are numerous dishes that are easy to make and taste so good that a meat-eater would approve. The key is to make sure whatever dish you decide to prepare has plenty of protein and nutrients to keep you full and energized for your Thanksgiving family antics. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian or somewhere in between, your mouth will water for these recipes.

Stuffed Mushrooms

Stuffed mushrooms are by far one of my favorite “easy” meals to make. Portobello mushrooms are a great alternative to meat, while still adding protein into your meal. You can stuff them with bell peppers, garlic, onion and spinach, topped with diced tomatoes and parmesan cheese if you are feeling indulgent. Some of my personal favorites are from Jo Cooks, Taste Love and Nourish, and Cilantro and Citronella! There are hundreds of different variations to make Stuffed Mushrooms, so whatever type of mushroom you are in the mood for, you can find a recipe.

Quiche

A quiche is a baked flan or tart with a savory filling, thickened with eggs. When making your own quiche, you can add in whatever vegetables and fillings you would like to ensure your dish is filled with protein and nutrients. Some of my favorite ingredients to include are spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, onions, tomatoes and garlic. Try some of the recipes from Wine and Glue, The Kitchen Girl, and Pillsbury. Don’t forget to add cheese to make it all the more delicious for Thanksgiving!

Baked Potatoes

Another simple recipe is a baked potato. Potatoes are one of the most versatile dishes to make, seeing as you can add almost anything you want on top and make them taste amazing. If you are at a lack of ideas, turn to Well Vegan, Oh My Veggies or I Love Vegan for some tasty inspiration. Some of my favorite toppings are cheese, sour cream, ranch, broccoli, spinach, cilantro and mushrooms.

Related: How To Slay Your Friendsgiving This Year

Macaroni and Cheese

A classic side dish is Macaroni and Cheese, which will already likely be served wherever you are spending the holiday. You can stick to the original Kraft Macaroni and Cheese blue box, or go the step further and create your own homemade version. Try the recipes from Betty Crocker, Southern Living, or That Was Vegan. There are even some vegan recipes that are just as delicious as the originals, using Daiya vegan cheese and even cauliflower if you want to go the healthier route.

Pumpkin Cake

What would a Thanksgiving be without desserts? If you are anything like me, pumpkin is your favorite ingredient of the fall season. This recipe for a Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake is a great way to add your own twist on dessert, or you could opt for a classic Pumpkin Pie recipe. The Pumpkin Cake is topped with delicious cream cheese icing. It is perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side and a glass of Martinelli’s Sparkling Cider to wash it all down.

Best wishes and have a happy Thanksgiving collegiettes!

Sarah Larios

George Mason University '21

Sarah is a Senior at George Mason University where she is majoring in Global Affairs with a concentration in Media, Communication, & Culture. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at George Mason, previously serving as the Senior Editor and Marketing & Publicity Director. When she’s not editing articles, she can be found working as a Communications Intern, hiking in Shenandoah National Park, playing with makeup, or spending time with her husband.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com