This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Tests can be very stressful for students from all aspects of life. They’re a major deciding factor in whether you pass or fail the class you’re taking. This may seem unfair because not everyone is the best at test taking. It’s not as simple as just studying. There are steps students can take to prepare for taking tests.

1. Be Aware

Read your syllabus or class schedule! Make sure you’re aware of every test date and put it down in your planner or Google Calendar. It’s the worst when you learn about a test a few days before the actual exam and have to cram right before.

Via Giphy

2. Buy Supplies

By supplies at least three days before the test, not all professors provide you with what is needed for the exam. Whether it be pencils or scantrons, if you need it for the test, buy it.

Via Giphy

3. Study

Study! Study! Study! You should be consistently studying for the test while you’re going through the material in class so that you don’t have to cram the night before the test. Studying in groups can be helpful as long as you and the group are being productive.

Via Giphy

4. Take Breaks

Take 15-minute breaks while studying, your brain needs time to process the information you’re taking in. Don’t over study for the exam because this leads to added stress and can negatively affect your mental and physical health.

Via Giphy

5. Relax

Relax before the test. Don’t try and cram more information into your brain. Watch some TV, take a nap, make sure you’re well–rested and not overly stressed before the test.

Via Giphy

Good luck with midterms, finals, and all other exams. You got this, collegiettes!

Via Giphy

Zeairah Webb

George Mason University '22

Zeairah is a senior at George Mason University. She spends most of her time reading, doing homework, and watching Netflix. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite animals are dogs. She is double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in journalism with hopes of one day studying intellectual property law. She aspires to be many things such as a legal consultant/attorney, a creative director for Disney, or a travel/lifestyle writer for a magazine.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com