This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

At the time I’m composing this article, it’s been about seven weeks since all of us first entered quarantine. And if you’re anything like me, you’ve probably made about five baked goods in that time. Baking is an intrinsic stress response for most people and monotonous days in quarantine seem to be bringing out the Martha Stewart in all of us.

So whether you’re looking for your next baking endeavor or simply trying to satisfy your sweet tooth, here are five treats you can easily make from the comfort of your home!

1. Banana Bread

It seems like everyone and their grandmother is making banana bread while in quarantine, and with good reason! Banana bread is very easy to make and only requires a handful of ingredients that most people already have lying around in their kitchen. It’s also a great way to use up your ripened bananas! But if you still aren’t completely sold, there are also some health benefits to eating banana bread. This dessert is not only high in potassium but also has a low glycemic index, which aids blood pressure, stabilizes heart function and can give you a much-needed energy boost. Sure, these benefits are significantly minimized when you add a ¾ cup of brown sugar but they’re still there nonetheless!

You can find a great banana bread recipe here.

banana bread next to butter and milk
Via Whitney Wright on Unsplash

2. Sourdough Bread

Similar to banana bread, sourdough bread has been another popular option for quarantine baking. However, making sourdough bread is a slightly more complex process and requires a significantly longer preparation period. In fact, it can take several days before your sourdough starter is even ready for the oven. But if you’re looking to advance your baking skills and try something a little challenging, this option might be for you! Plus, you and your family get the added bonus of delicious homemade bread with your meals.

You can find an extensive sourdough bread recipe here.

loaf of bread cut in half
Via Tommaso Urli on Unsplash

3. Snickerdoodles

If you’re looking for something that you can whip up quickly between online classes or you’re low on baking supplies, snickerdoodles are probably your best bet! Not only are these sugary circles of heaven utterly delicious but they can also be made with the bare basics of your pantry. This is also a fun recipe to get your whole family involved in, as everyone can take part in drowning the dough in cinnamon sugar. As an additional tip, if you find yourself lacking cream of tartar you can always substitute this ingredient with baking powder. 

You can find a delectable snickerdoodle recipe here.

snickerdoodle cookies
Via dolfinmagikpro on Pixabay

4. Chocolate Chip Cookies

Is there anything more comforting than freshly baked chocolate chip cookies? If you find yourself craving a little chocolate and some semblance of normalcy, this is the baked good for you! Whether you plan to break out your grandmother’s tattered old recipe card or follow the classic Nestle Toll House recipe, you are sure to receive optimal results! Just make sure to grab one once they’re on the cooling rack because they are sure to go fast!

You can find an excellent chocolate chip cookie recipe here

chocolate chip cookies
Via Izabelle Acheson on Unsplash

5. Muffins

Blueberry, pumpkin, cranberry, chocolate chip- the possibilities are truly endless! If you’re looking to shake up your baking habits, try making a dozen or so muffins in the flavor of your choice. Not only are your quarantine companions sure to enjoy them but they are also a great addition to your morning breakfast. Most muffins can also be frozen and stored in the freezer for up to three months. To continue enjoying your baking masterpiece in the months to come, simply pop your frozen treat into the microwave for thirty seconds and enjoy!

You can find an exceptional chocolate chip muffin recipe here.

muffins on a cooling rack
Via Kaitlyn Chow
Happy baking, collegiettes! If you make any of the above recipes be sure to take a picture and tag us @HCGeorgeMason!

Marissa Joyce

George Mason University '22

Marissa is currently a senior at George Mason University and serves as Senior Editor of George Mason's Her Campus chapter. At Mason, she is pursuing a double major in English and Communication. When Marissa isn't writing articles, she can be found over-caffeinated, tackling her extensive library of books, or curating her vinyl record collection.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com