This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Craving a new artist to listen to? R&B singer/songwriter Alex Isley is someone you should definitely become familiar with. This artist has worked with many other talented R&B artists such as Masego, Jack Dine, and the recent Grammy award-winning artist Lucky Daye. Isley’s voice is perfect to listen to when cleaning, going on a relaxing car ride, or even those moments where you choose to daydream. Isley’s voice is so smooth and soothing, it is hard not to have a glass of wine as you listen to her melodic flows.

Isley is currently 34 years old and from the East Coast, specifically New Jersey. If you thought her last name sounded familiar, you are absolutely right. Isley is the daughter of Ernie Isley who was a group member of a well-known group in the early 70s, The Isley Brothers. Ernie Isley was the lead guitarist in the group and was the writer of one of their popular songs titled “At Your Best.” It is no question the Isley family holds a strong love for music, which has been passed on to Alex Isley. 

Isley’s first debut EP was in 2012 titled Love/Art Memories. Her most popular song from “Love/Art Memoirs” is “Into Orbit.” “Into Orbit” is one of those songs that is perfect for a chill occasion. Whether it be a first date getting to know someone or a girls’ night to catch up with some girlfriends, this song will definitely have you feeling calm and collected.

🎵 Related: MEMORY LANE:EXPLORING TOP R&B SONGS FROM THE 90’S

Isley has also collaborated with producer Dine for two of her projects. Her first joint project with Dine is her EP titled “Wilton,” which came out in 2019. Her most recent joint collaboration with Dine is her album titled “Marigold,” which came out this year. Both of these projects are phenomenal, these two never seem to miss the mark when they work together. A few song suggestions from “Wilton” would be “Think of Me” and “There Was Love.” From Isley’s most recent album, I suggest the songs “Still Wonder” and “Love Again.” These not only have two amazing joint projects together but have a single together that will make you want to listen on a constant loop.

The single this duo crafted is one of my personal favorites and it is called “Good and Plenty” with an additional vocalist that is none other than Masego. The cover art of this song consists of a wandering road on the highway with an abundance of greenery in the distance. The cover art also contains a vintage almost hazy-like look. The cover art resembles a film captured by an old-school video camera. The cover art couldn’t get any better representing exactly how the song sounds. “Good and Plenty” is perfect for a road trip with the windows down during the day or even at night. There is also a remix to “Good and Plenty” with an addition from newly Grammy award-winning R&B artist Lucky Daye. It’s hard to say which version is better when they both sound astonishing.

🎵 Related: THE RELEASE OF CANDY DRIP

Speaking of New Orleans’ very own Lucky Daye, Isley has made an appearance on his most recent album titled “Candy Drip.” Isley is credited for her writing on this album but also makes an appearance vocally on the album. Isley has vocals and co-production for “Intro” and “Intermission.” “Intermission” has to be one of my top favorite songs from “Candy Drip.”  There is always irony in interludes being your favorite song considering how short they usually are. A solid three loops are needed when listening to “Intermission”. Additional vocals from Isley can be heard on “Cherry Forrest” and “Ego,” from “Candy Drip.”

If you are a dreamer like myself, Alex Isley is definitely an artist for you. There is no other way to describe her music except dreamy. You truly will feel like you could be floating on a cloud listening to this artist do yourself a favor and take a listen. You won’t be disappointed!

Jalyn Green

George Mason University '22

Jalyn Green is a senior at George Mason University currently studying Communication with a minor in Film. She is a Philly native who enjoys spending time with friends, family, and dogs. She is also very passionate about music and fashion and hopes to become a creative director in the future.