This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Last semester I was in a very bad space. I was depressed, stressed out, and I had anxiety every morning I woke up. I honestly laid in bed staring at the wall crying because I had no energy or motivation to get through the day. I let my grade drops. I stopped coming to work. It was all-around a dark space for me.

Six months later, as I reflect on my life and journey I have experienced, I realized that I have finally achieved the transitioning out stage of my depression and finally seeing the sun.

To begin with, Her Campus George Mason is my safe space. I know that some of my readers have noticed that this a topic I talk heavily about in my articles because it’s MY story and MY reality. This stage of my life has taught me a lot about myself in many different aspects. It has changed my relationship with my friends and family. I have learned to really be selfish for MYSELF. And I have learned to love me for me even when I hated myself. I am unapologetic about every point in this journey which is why it is my prized achievement.

There was a time during all of this where I battled addiction. I tried to find a way to cope with all of this in every which way possible even if it risked me being sedated in my bed for days at a time. I had to find a way to cope, but it wasn’t the best way.

However, the light at the end of my tunnel was my friends. They made sure I was up and out of bed every day. They made sure I ate even if I refused. But they also made sure that I wasn’t alone most importantly of them all. Without them, I don’t know where I’d be today in my journey. 

I want to thank my therapist, “Tom” who helped me make this transition and guided me along the way. I was a lost soul when he found me, but he is definitely the number one person to attribute to where I am. I literally almost cried when he told me that I was entering this stage in the journey.

But most importantly, I want to thank God and myself for helping me see this through. I stayed strong and kept the faith even when I just wanted to end it all. I give the most praise to you.

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com