This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

There is always a fascination to have the finer things in life. Most of the time the finer things are right in front of us. We must become just as fascinated with our progress as well as the finish line. I too have dreams and aspirations of living in a spacious loft with the most beautiful view of New York City. This is not to tell you to dream small, yet simply enjoy the ride of your dreams and allow them to take you places without direction. It’s totally normal to feel defeated when things don’t go according to plan, let those experiences humble you. Technical difficulties in life will surely teach you to enjoy the little things that it has to offer.

Work, school and maintaining a social life at times seems absolutely impossible but learning to appreciate what’s not stressing you out is just as important. We have so many resources around that have the ability to give the feeling of bliss, even if that is for a short moment. Yoga is a perfect way to unwind and allow your mind to wander completely. A couple of my favorite yogis are Yoga with Kassandra, Adrianna Elizabeth, and Abiola Akanni. These yogis share various yoga practices you can do in your own home for free. Learning to stretch your body in ways you never have, definitely allows you to be more attuned with yourself. I highly encourage this, collegiettes.

Related article: 5 Yoga Poses You Should Do Every Single Day

As much as staying at a five-star resort to unwind sounds amazing, maybe try going to your local beach to watch the sunset. Spontaneous beach trips to take in the scenery is such a great way to let your mind wander and self reflect. The sound of the ocean’s waves crashing with a combination of watching the sun set over the horizon line is a site you don’t want to miss. You could always get creative and turn this viewing into a picnic from the back of your trunk. Pinterest has what seems never-ending ideas to spark your creativity. After your beach trip, if you’re up to it, a late-night drive in the city is always fun.

Related article: The Merits of a Good Drive

Late-night drives are without a doubt therapeutic. Whether your late-night drive is alone or with the right person you don’t mind sharing company with, you’re destined for a good time. I suggest making a late-night drive playlist, nothing says serenity like having the right tunes. I suggest Frank Ocean’s Blonde album and Snoh Aalegra’s album titled Feels. These two albums on a loop are guaranteed to give you all those feels. Late-night drives allow you to observe your surroundings and just be still for a moment.

In a time where safety comes first in just about everything we do today, a beach trip and a late-night drive is a perfect destresser. We are definitely experiencing a moment in time where enjoying the little things in life are put into a higher perspective. Having the ability to hang out with a large group of your loved ones feels like a privilege the world has taken for granted. With that in mind, I ask you to really take the time to appreciate the little things that provide you happiness and hold on to it. I know this is a crazy time but for your own sanity please try to find happiness in the small things.

Jalyn Green

George Mason University '22

Jalyn Green is a senior at George Mason University currently studying Communication with a minor in Film. She is a Philly native who enjoys spending time with friends, family, and dogs. She is also very passionate about music and fashion and hopes to become a creative director in the future.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com