This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

When I began attending Furman, I’ll admit it, I was sheltered. I had never drank alcohol before, never seen an illegal substance, and never been to a party. Even at Furman, where the nightlife scene can be described as desolate, I felt like I had a lot to learn in comparison to my peers. I had this mentality where I never wanted to touch alcohol or be in the same vicinity as a Juul. The thought of it would make 18-year-old Savannah have an anxiety attack – all because I grew up with an addict for a mother. 

Today’s topic is a little more heavy and a lot more personal than my usual articles. This one highlights how, despite my mom only being in my life for my first ten years, large and lasting impacts were made on me due to her addiction. The intent of this article, though, is to shine light on how addiction not only harms the addict, but his or her family as well. It also seeks to shine light on how classmates our age may struggle with the aftermath of this upbringing too. 

For me, my mother was addicted to alcohol and drugs. I’m very open about this because it explains a lot about the way I think and act. Alcoholic parents are more likely to neglect their children, stay out all night and leave their children alone, and have rages that make an unstable environment for their kids (https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/report_3223/ShortReport-3223.html ). Growing up, any and all moments with my mother felt unstable. Even a decade later, the overconsumption of alcohol still is a concern for my loved ones and myself, as I never want to be placed in the dangerous situations I once was in. Hence why I avoided alcohol for so long. 

Now I am a legal adult and I am finally able to drink alcohol without extreme worry that I will develop an addiction like my mother did. Something I always want my loved ones to be aware of, though, is how common alcoholism is. About 1 in 12 men are alcoholics in America as are 1 in 25 women. When you look around at you and your peers, the statistic is easy to personify; we just don’t realize it. Especially in college, binge drinking is normalized to the point of concern. That’s not to say that you can never have a fun night out or that everyone that drinks is an alcoholic, rather, it’s a statistic to make you aware of your drinking habits especially as we prepare to move on from college into adulthood. I admit, too, nights out with my friends are some of my favorite memories, but also, I’m happy to say that I am able to have sober fun with those same friends. I hope you all can say that, too. 

Unfortunately, I still live with a slight anxiety over alcohol every time I choose to drink. I never want to use alcohol as an escape from life’s issues, nor do I want my friends to do so either. Illegal drugs are out of the question as I have seen firsthand how it can make a person completely change without her even realizing it. The thought of developing alcoholism or an addiction to a substance is terrifying as I have seen the way it impacts families. The way you think can be more cautious and anxious, the way you act around substances can be a little more panicked. My dad, thankfully, picked up the pieces my mother left behind, and instilled strong values and morals for my siblings and me. But he should not have had to to the extent that he did. My siblings are more overprotective of each other than they would have been had our mother not been an addict. As my siblings and I grow and begin to date and have friendships, we all are cautious and aware about what our friends’ and future partners’ drinking patterns and other habits are like. It’s something that 20-something-year olds shouldn’t focus on, but having been so impacted by it – we do. 

In all, though, this article isn’t meant to shame you if you drink often, nor is it meant to tell you right from wrong. I enjoy drinking with my friends on the weekends and have been able to find a good happy medium. This is just me saying have your fun, but be mindful, too. Alcoholism and addiction isn’t something to take lightly and impacts more people than we realize. Whether it’s you, your family member, or friend, be mindful of the choices you are making and about why you are making them.

Savannah Hobbie is a senior Politics & International Affairs and Communications double major at Furman University. She hopes to attend law school after college. Aside from Her Campus, she is on the executive boards for both Panhellenic Council and the Chi Omega sorority at Furman. She is a mentor for Ladies of Distinction and is an orientation leader. She also has two internships serving as a social media manager. Her passions include self-care, writing about vulnerable topics, beauty, spreading love, and hyping people up!