anxiety rep image
anxiety rep image
Helena Denny
Wellness > Mental Health

Small Changes Make a Big Difference; Ways to Cope With Everyday Anxiety

Anxiety can be a difficult thing to understand, it causes many issues in areas ranging anywhere from relationships to personal health and growth. I have struggled with anxiety since my sophomore year of high school and it definitely takes a toll on your entire life. Sometimes it can seem as if your own mind is turning on you. You start to overthink, become paranoid and extremely self-critical, and in some of the worst cases, you can feel completely isolated from yourself and those around you. However, it is extremely important that you acknowledge those weaknesses and conquer them. Do not let yourself or others discount what you’re feeling and if overthinking is getting old, give a few of these coping techniques and tips a try!

Surround Yourself With Things That Make You Happy

anxiety body image 1
Helena Denny

Surrounding yourself with things you love gives you the feeling of being in a comfortable space. You can associate the bad with the good and allow yourself to replace bad experiences with good feelings such as the ones brought by the items that make you happy. Whether it be something goofy, like that One Direction poster you’ve had since you were in the sixth grade, or as heart-warming as the necklace that your boyfriend gave you for your one year anniversary; it is important to give yourself the chance to breathe and remind yourself that even though this moment might be bringing you down, there are so many things that will lift you right back up. What you surround yourself with is up to you, it can be tangible or not, but as long as it gives you good ~vibes~ it definitely should be put to good use.

Do What You Love

anxiety body image 2
Helena Denny

Whether it be yoga, reading, journaling, or painting, doing what you love is an amazing way to conquer everyday life. Often times with anxiety and depression some of your strongest passions can become boring or even pointless. You could lose interest or isolate yourself from them because maybe you just don’t think you’re worthy of having them, but maybe the best way to avoid that is by acting on those passions and doing exactly what you love! Prove to yourself that your passions are what make you unique and special, even if you’re not that good at them. They’re your passions because you enjoy them, they bring you joy and preoccupy your mind with positive energy, they help you push away all of the negativity that life may be bringing.

Put Your Phone Down Before Bed

anxiety body image 3
Helena Denny

It’s 2:00 a.m. and you’ve been scrolling through TikTok (don’t be ashamed we all do it), you finally shut your phone off to close your eyes but, you just can’t seem to fall asleep. You try and convince yourself that it’s your anxiety, but deep down you know that it’s the two hours you spent trying to learn the “Renegade” dance that is stopping you from getting the shuteye you need. I know it sounds impossible to give it up but putting your phone down before bed makes a huge difference when it comes to lack of sleep at night. According to Dr. Walia of the Cleveland Clinic “Checking your phone stimulates the brain so we are more active and awake. Even just a quick check can engage your brain and prolong sleep.” Not only does checking your phone stimulate the brain, but “the blue light that your cellphone gives off suppresses the release of melatonin from the pineal gland.” So turn off your phone when you turn off the lights, and give yourself the sleep you deserve!

Get Organized

Calendar on marble background
Helena Denny (created on canva)

Getting organized is one of the best ways to declutter your life and give yourself room to breathe. Whether it’s planning out your day, week, or month, it’s important to set down important dates, reminders and special events to ease your mind. There are so many ways to get organized, such as bullet journals, calendars, agendas/planners, etc. and so many fun ways to bring in your creativity with it. Not only will it help lighten your load but the comfort of knowing the dates and locations for everything you have planned gives you space to think about taking care of yourself!

Anxiety at its worse is a difficult disorder to deal with, and even if it seems impossible now, there are so many things that can change the way you think and help you cope with it. It is important to not let your weakness get the best of you and to listen to your heart and not your head. Small changes like these are stepping stones to an overall happier and healthier life. Remember to lift your head up, smile and remind yourself that you are strong and will get through whatever comes your way!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hey! My name is Helena Denny, I am a Media Communications Studies student at Florida State University!
Her Campus at Florida State University.