Wellness > Health

Seven Little Things That Will Help You Live A Healthier Life

It’s easy to believe, yet sad to say, that college students aren’t exactly the healthiest people on earth. You have all of the tools that you need at your disposal to get started on this quest to healthy living, so what’s stopping you? You and your health should be your first priority always, so use these seven simple steps to get started!

Get out and get moving

Easier said than done, right? Wrong! There are so many simple ways to exercise and although they might not help you train for your next marathon, getting out and getting active is all that matters! Walk to class, park in the furthest row at the store, always take the stairs, stand up a few times every hour and do some squats while you’re brushing your teeth!

Exercise regularly

It’s also very important to remember that while you may be moving, you’re doing it consistently. Pick a few days a week, times that you have at least 20 or 30 minutes, and dedicate those times to exercising. Whether it’s hitting up the Leach for some treadmill action, doing simple bodyweight exercises at home or taking a yoga class with your friends through campus rec, set aside some time every week to exercise. The hardest part about exercising and working out is getting up and doing it but once you’re there, you most likely won’t regret it!

Drink water

I know what you’re probably thinking. Water is such a cliché thing to swear by. But I really do. Water is so important to keeping your body running properly and making sure you’re staying hydrated, especially while the temperature gets hotter. Realistically, you should drink at least four to six cups a day and although it is possible to drink too much water, you should really be refilling your water bottle multiple times per day while walking around campus. Let’s be real, by the time you walk up the hill to Diffenbaugh or across Legacy Walk to the psych building, you should have finished your bottle of water!

Courtesy: Daria Shevtsova

Follow inspiring accounts

Every now and then I’ll go through a mini-purge on my social media accounts, getting rid of people I don’t know, don’t talk to, but especially getting rid of the accounts that don’t bring me anything but negativity. With just about everything being linked to our cell phones, it’s so important to only fill your feed with positivity. Surround yourself with positive people and you’ll be inspired to be the best version of yourself.

Healthy snacks

Snacks are a necessary part of everyone’s day, especially college students. But what’s more important is that you’re putting fuel into your body, snacks that will charge you up and hold you over until your next meal. That means, resist the salty chips or savory cookies and choose the healthier alternative. Some ideas to get you started are veggies with ranch, apples or celery with peanut butter, avocado on toast, a handful of nuts or trail mix and probably anything else that doesn’t exactly jump out to you in the grocery store, until now! Food is fuel and we all need fuel to get through lectures and study group sessions.

Stretching

Often overlooked and highly beneficial, stretching is so important for you to have a healthier body and mind. Especially when your body is dormant after sitting in Strozier for hours at a time, stretching will help wake up your muscles and relieve tension in any and all parts of your body. With a little bit of practice and knowing how to do it the right way, stretching out your muscles can seriously lead to some amazing benefits. So, stretch as much as you can, your body will thank you for it – if not right now then surely during that spin class you’re going to later this week! 

Sleep

Last, but certainly not least. The importance of sleep is something that college students, I included, have such a hard time grasping. Sleep not only helps you feel rested, but it helps your mind and body function so much better the next day. The important thing to note is how much sleep you should be getting every night. Young adults should be getting around 7-9 hours every night, so those quick hammock naps on Landis, unfortunately, don’t count for much. The great news is that, after your new long and healthy days of walking around campus, exercising, and eating nutritious food, you’ll be ready for that slumber!

Anneliese is a junior at Florida State, majoring in Humanities and pursuing a career in Public Relations. Favorite drink: Iced Caramel Macchiato. Favorite Bachelor: Colton. On campus, you'll probably find her at Marching Chiefs Field or reloading her Starbucks card in Stroz.