If you’re the same age as me, you might be entitled to compensation and free therapy because of war flashbacks to Freelee the Banana Girl, overly saturated Instagram influencers’ sponsored juice cleanses, or the HCLF vegan diet. These things were all branded as falling within the “health and wellness” world. 

But none of that is true “wellness.” Here’s the kicker: the real secret to unlocking your inner health goddess is just doing whatever makes your own physical body and mind feel strong and make you function at your highest capacity. There are, however, still a few things you can do to go above-and-beyond (because while you don’t have to do any of the following things, it never hurts). 

1. Don’t skip meals.

I know not everyone is a breakfast person (can’t relate) but that doesn’t give you free rein to skip a meal altogether. It’s important to get something in your system the first few hours after waking, and that does not include black coffee on an empty stomach. Make a smoothie, grab an apple or granola bar, or h*ll, even a piece of plain toast works. Brain fog and crippling fatigue are real and will come for you if you try to get away with being “too busy” to eat. No, you’re not; you never are. 

2. Sleep.

You don’t have to follow my annoying sleep schedule because I’m a literal grandmother (I go to sleep at 9 P.M. and wake up at 5:30). But please don’t be on your phone until 2 A.M. and get four hours of sleep; you’ll screw up your circadian rhythms and your body’s natural secretion of melatonin for life.  

3. Get to know your gut microbiome.

morning healthy wellness
Photo by THE 5TH from Unsplash
Kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, coconut yogurt and other fermented foods should become your best friend. Your gut microbiome is like the brain of your stomach… kind of? If you’re not taking care of your gut by consuming your prebiotics and probiotics, the microbiome gets stressed. This stress leads to bad skin, indigestion, a weak immune system and bloating, among other things. 

4. Up your fiber intake.

blueberry mason jar
Photo by Debby Hudson from Unsplash

Americans are obsessed with their protein intake. But what most people are deficient in—and don’t even realize—is fiber. Most adults don’t even consume 15 grams of fiber a day, while the FDA recommends at the very least 25. Your organs are probably backed up without enough fiber to help move everything along; fiber-rich foods include oats, beans/lentils, berries, almonds and even dark chocolate (so mostly plant-based foods).

5. Mindfulness.

Yoga with Adriene on YouTube is wonderful. If you’re impatient like me, a five-minute meditation video does wonders (it does NOT have to be an hour). Journal and vent out your thoughts at the end of the day. Nurture not only your physical body but your mind and mental wellbeing, too. It’s all connected, baby. 

6. Supplements.

For stress and anxiety: Magnesium glycinate, adaptogens and ashwagandha (seriously I love this stuff). Get your B12, calcium and iron. The Ayurveda alternative medicine route which originated in India is a great Google rabbit-hole to go down. 

7. Follow @seamossgirlies on Instagram.

This one is non-negotiable. Kate and Emma, who run this account, make memes about too-expensive supplements (I love you, my $16 bottle of Ashwagandha), body dysmorphia (because sometimes trauma can be funny) and their obsessions with sweet potatoes. I truly cannot do it justice just by writing about it, please go look at it. 

And lastly, all jokes aside, wellness should be about what’s accessible to you. I am very privileged in that I can take bi-weekly trips to Whole Foods to buy things that are definitely overpriced and probably don’t do anything. At the end of the day, just remember to eat your fruits and veggies and try to move your body a few times a week and you’ll be okay. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Gillian is a senior at FSU majoring in Creative Writing. She loves astrology, is a self-proclaimed bibliophile, and loves all things witchy. She can be found drinking copious amounts of matcha & crying over the fact that she doesn't live in London.
Her Campus at Florida State University.