Wellness

The Self-Proclaimed Self-Care Connoisseur’s Self-Care Routine

Having publicly claimed myself the self-care expert and connoisseur, it was only fair that I allowed Her Campus readers to crown me worthy or unworthy of that title. I think I’ve crafted a weekend self-care routine that’s both extraordinarily relaxing and productive because, of course, it is. But seriously, with or without this routine implemented in your lives, it’s essential to take care of yourselves. Listen to your mind and body and reach out if you feel you need professional help. There is always someone who loves you and will try to lend you support, no matter how bleak things may look (I promise, this is the antidepressants talking).

On weekends, I like to wake up to a peaceful alarm around 9 a.m., one that doesn’t scare me out of bed. I enjoy waking up to binaural beats, being the spiritual girl I am. I also play sleep binaural beats all night. They’re so beautiful to sleep with and wake up to. I take my time stretching and getting out of bed while drinking the full water bottle I keep by my bed to quench my thirst in the early morning.

By 9:15 a.m., I’m usually awake and wandering downstairs. I take my medicines and vitamins with a full glass of water (this isn’t medical advice, follow your physician’s instructions on how to take your medicine). Now, it’s when I begin fixing breakfast and a cup of tea. I opt for the regular Throat Coat or a peppermint tea (the Virgo talking). I enjoy fruit, maple oatmeal, fried eggs, bagels with cream cheese or Cocoa Krispies cereal for breakfast. I sit for at least 45 minutes to enjoy and digest my food. I always have juice or milk and another glass of water at the table.

After digesting, I like to have my morning shower. I chuck a Vicks shower tablet onto the shower floor to clear my nose while showering. To relax, I enjoy a hot shower with a cold rinse. I take my time to enjoy the hot water and wash everything twice. Right now, I’m using my fall products, which smell like apple cider and cinnamon. I use Clearasil for my face in the shower and Burt’s Bees peach scrub with a face brush for an after-shower face cleansing. My skincare routine for weekend mornings consists of a face mask (I recommend clay), witch hazel toner, medicine from my dermatologist and a sunscreen moisturizer. While my face mask is working for 20 minutes, I read a book chapter. While in the shower or doing my skin-care routine, I listen to music with positive affirmations, usually Jhene Aiko.

Throughout the day, I read or catch up on schoolwork. Sometimes I get Starbucks or Zaxby’s for lunch to treat myself. Around dinner time, I heat a frozen dinner because why not and sit at the table with my grandparents to eat without my cell phone, so I am the most present I can be. We talk about how the day went and what tomorrow looks like, among other things. After cleaning up my spaces throughout the house and feeding our dog Rosie, I start my evening bath.

Usually, I do my evening baths with Lavender Epsom Salt, but sometimes I like to switch it up for a Lush bath bomb. My favorite? Epsom Salt. Of course, my evening baths are taken with hot water. I read more of my book and play light music in the background, binaural beats, with one of my skylights illuminating the bathroom. Because the water runs so hot, I usually have water or juice with me.

After I enjoy about an hour in the bath, I lather myself with lavender lotion and put on my pajamas. I use my room and bed spray from the Aromatherapy line at Bath & Body Works to make my room smell like lavender. I take a melatonin and climb into bed with a book. I set my alarm, start my sleep binaural beats on my Alexa, and read for about 30 minutes. At around 9 p.m., I finally put my book down and try to sleep. If I can’t fall asleep yet, I read until I can.

Though I sometimes stray from this routine, it’s what I try to do nightly. A pattern is so positive for my OCD and PTSD, so I do recommend something like this for self-care. Take care of yourself first always.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!