New Year, New You: Local Ways to Improve Yourself

Each time the end of the year rolls around, we each take time to reflect on what we’ve accomplished, gained, or even lost during the past year. Maybe you got into the school you’ve had your heart set on forever. Maybe you got out of a nasty relationship. Maybe you gained a few pounds. The truth is that it’s difficult to get through a year without something relatively bad happening to you. But don’t fret! That’s what New Year’s resolutions are for. In this article, we’re going to tackle the most popular resolution: to live a healthier lifestyle.

So how does one live a healthier lifestyle? There are many aspects of health, be it physical or mental. As the resolution that I chose for myself this year, this question is one that I have been asking myself daily since the New Year. Here are a few things that I have come up with:

Courtesy: Recovery Steps

Physical Health

It’s no secret that gyms become significantly more packed following the New Year. Machines are harder to come by, the air is mustier than usual and there are way more people working on their fitness. If you’re a regular at the gym, this may upset you. But rather than getting mad at, or even making fun of those new to working out (as many gym-shaming videos that have gone viral do), rejoice that people are making an attempt to be healthier, even if they don’t quite know how to go about that yet. If you need more space, there are plenty of local gyms in the Tallahassee area to go to than the on-campus options. 

Planet Fitness

Home of the Judgment Free Zone, Planet Fitness is a wonderful place to get your sweat on. Starting at only $10 a month, it even works with your college budget! Whether it’s abdominal circuits, lifting, or cardio you’re after, PF has it all. With several locations around town, there are plenty to choose from.

The Leach

Did you know that all current FSU students can get up to three free personal training lessons with a nationally-accredited, certified personal trainer? Or that they offer an extensive schedule of group fitness classes? Between Yoga, Spin 45, Power Lunch HIT 30, Barre Burn, Total Body Sculpt, and so many more, you’re bound to find a class that you love that works with your schedule. For weekly schedules, check here. In addition to regular weight training and cardio stations, the Leach also features a regular sized track, racquet ball courts, and basketball courts.

There are so many gyms across town if you look for them. Gold’s Gym and even your own apartment can offer more ways to work up a sweat. Check them out!

Courtesy: Chloe Cushman, The Guardian

Mental Health

Take it from someone who has spent the majority of her undergrad career stressed out: mental health is just as important as physical health. I’ve started walking down the road of my mental health journey by doing “corny’ things like putting up inspirational quotes around my room. As soon as I stopped rolling my eyes at them to actually read them, many of them started to resonate with me. I also have reached out more to friends about my concerns about the future (as a senior graduating in less than 100 days, the future is speeding towards me). There are a variety of larger ways to improve your mental health locally as well.

Relaxation

People have many different ways that they like to relax. Whether it’s a chilled glass of wine and your favorite show or even just reading a book, make sure that you take time out of your day to focus on you! Get your work done, but, trust me, you don’t need to work around the clock. Doing so can lead to you burning out too early. As mentioned, the Leach offers relaxation in the form of yoga. In addition, there are many more ways to get your yoga on around campus. From taking a Rest and Relaxation or Beginning Yoga class to joining the Yoga Club, and everything in between, getting a mental and physical boost is not hard to come by. 

Seek Guidance

While admitting that there might be more going on in your head (like anxiety, depression, etc.) can take a lot of courage, there are many people available to help you address this in a professional, relaxed setting. Counseling is available at no charge to students (information can be accessed here). There are many services available, and counselors work with you in order to make a plan that works for you. Sometimes addressing that you’re not where you want to be is hard, however it can be the first domino in your journey to achieve ideal mental health. 

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.