jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Our generation has done a great job at creating a conversation centered around mental illness, what it is, what we can do to combat it, and more. However, within this conversation, there are many misconceptions and misunderstandings. There are a multitude of different kinds of mental illnesses and every person experiences these illnesses in a unique way. It’s easy to get things mixed up, especially when the topic has never really been as open to discussion as it is today. 

Courtesy: Yuris Alhumaydy on Unsplash

First and foremost, let’s talk about depression. Lately, I’ve seen a lot of jokes on Twitter or Instagram that are centered around being depressed. One of my personal favorites is probably the remix of “All I Want for Christmas is You,” where instead of “you” the person shouts “crippling depression.” It makes me laugh every time I see it. But in all seriousness, depression is something that shouldn’t be taken lightly. 

When we joke about being depressed, we lessen the severity of the topic. We cause people that are struggling with depression to be seen as dramatic and “just sad.” This is one of the biggest misconceptions when it comes to depression. Just because you’re sad does not mean you are depressed. Depression is a disease that takes over someone’s mind and body. It’s so much more than being sad. It’s not having the energy or desire to get out of bed each day. It’s isolating yourself from friends and family. It’s not wanting to do things you enjoy because you physically cannot get up. It’s not a joke and we need to stop treating it as if it were. 

Courtesy: Aarón Blanco Tejedor on Unsplash

Next, we have anxiety. Anxiety, as defined by Google, is “a nervous disorder characterized by a state of excessive uneasiness and apprehension, typically with compulsive behavior or panic attacks.” However, many people confuse anxiety with being nervous. Feeling anxious and having an anxiety disorder are two very different things. For instance, you may be anxious about a project in a class but this doesn’t mean you have anxiety. On the flip side, you may think you just overthink a lot and have random fits of hyperventilation and shaking, but in reality, you may want to talk to a doctor about how to treat anxiety. 

Courtesy: Thư Anh on Unsplash

Finally, there is OCD or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. The biggest misconception with OCD is that it means you just like to be clean and organized. I can’t tell you how many times this month I’ve heard, “haha I’m so OCD, I can’t stand for things to be dirty!” I’m pretty sure this was an option on a leasing application under the question, “How clean do you keep your space?” In fact, OCD is much more than being clean and tidy. I, myself, didn’t fully understand this until watching Dr. Miranda Bailey struggle with her illness in Grey’s Anatomy. OCD, to explain it in really simple terms, includes a lot of repetition to make sure things are perfect, and can include hypervigilance, agitation and more. It’s an extremely complex disorder that needs more awareness. 

Mental illnesses, while they have been more relevant in recent years, need to be talked about more. Those struggling with mental health deserve to be served with understanding and empathy, just as if they had a physical ailment. If you know someone living with a mental disorder, be kind and patient with them. This isn’t something they can “turn off” and it can be very hard to manage. If you’re the person fighting your mental health, don’t be afraid to ask for help. It’s okay to not be okay and it’s definitely okay to seek support.

Mental Health Hotline: 1-800-273-2855

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Cheyanne is a sophomore at FSU, majoring in Social Work with a criminology minor. In the future, she plans to work with abused women and children. In her spare time, she's probably watching Criminal Minds or Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. She also enjoys being a dog mom to her two fur-babies, Tucker and Patches.
Her Campus at Florida State University.