Mental health is something we all struggle with. Thankfully, today’s society has allowed mental health to become normalized—something we can all talk about. I think talking about how we feel and taking time for self-care are some of the most important things we can do for ourselves! So now it’s time for a mental health check. Here are some techniques and activities that I always use that allow you to check-in with yourself; for when you’re feeling down, or just when you need that little boost to get you through the day. 

Meditation 

Woman doing yoga meditation on brown parquet flooring
Photo by Jared Rice from Unsplash
I cannot stress how much meditation has helped me. I meditate when I’m sad, stressed, mad, anxious—however I may be feeling. If you take two to five minutes to just sit there and breathe, it truly does make the world of a difference. I personally use Headspace, a meditation app that has guided meditations for all of your moods, starting your day or even when you’re about to wind down at night. Mediation puts you in a wave of peace and good energy. It allows you to calm yourself down and focus on your well-being. 

Crystals 

I love my crystals! They’re used to promote the flow of good energy and help rid the body and mind of negative energy for physical and emotional benefits. Once you pick the crystals that connect with you most, you need to cleanse and charge them. It’s all about intentions. If you have the mindset that your crystals will work as you want them to, then they will. Don’t doubt the power of the crystals! When I set my intentions, I write them out in my notes and make sure it connects to what the stone is supposed to help with. I love to connect with my crystals by holding them in my hands or placing them on my legs while I meditate. 

Reading/Doodling 

Self-help books are another really good way to clear your mind and maybe even learn something new about yourself. I am currently reading a book called You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero. This book takes you through different chapters of how you got this way, different techniques to help get you out of your funk and how to continue your life in a fulfilling way full of happiness and light. Another book that I’m reading or really doodling in is called My Mind Right Now: The Scribble Diary by Lisa Currie. This is your own personal journal that has different places to write in your thoughts or how your day was. I love to doodle in this right before I go to bed and reflect on my day.  

Skincare! 

Lastly, one of my all-time favorites—because it makes me feel so good—is my skincare routine. There is nothing better than taking time for yourself so you can feel clean and satisfied. I have a skincare routine for the morning and nighttime, but the nighttime one is what completes my day. Once I take my makeup off and use my products, I just know that I will feel more refreshed and am keeping my skin clear. 

I swear by all of the techniques and activities! They have helped me so much and whether you’re going through something or just need a little pick me up, I am positive that this is just what you need. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest

Alive to create! Type 1 Diabetic I have an unhealthy sneaker obsession ://
Her Campus at Florida State University.