bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Maria Shanklin: Fitness Fanatic and Aspiring Dietitian

Name: Maria Shanklin

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Miami, FL

Major: Dietetics

Courtesy: @mariaaafit on Instagram 

Her Campus (HC): How did you first take up an interest in fitness?

Maria Shanklin (MS): Believe it, or not, it all goes back to about four years ago when my dance teacher at the time told me I had gained too much weight. Hearing this was devastating and took a huge toll on me. I immediately began every diet you could think of, from a no-carb diet to RAW Fit, and began going to the gym. It got to the obsessive point where I reached a near eating disorder. Over time, I learned more about nutrition and fitness and thankfully recovered from those dark stages in my life. My passion for nutrition and fitness is growing more and more every day, and I pray for these two aspects to be the focal point of my career.

HC: How are you currently using your passion for fitness to help and inspire others?

MS: There is nothing that makes me happier than being able to share my nutrition and fitness advice with others. About nine months ago, I decided to take a risk and make a fitness Instagram account (@mariaaafit). Through this account, I post what I eat in a given day, workout videos, gym selfies, and nutrition/fitness advice.   

HC: What opportunities has your fitness journey already provided for you?

MS: Even though I am still in the process of my fitness journey, creating this platform has introduced me to a group of amazing individuals that share the same passion for nutrition/fitness and have put my name out in the fitness industry. I am currently sponsored by UpRize Apparel (www.uprizeapparel.com), a line of gym clothing that promotes nothing but positivity and motivation.  You can actually use my code MFIT15 to save money on your purchase. College students: take this opportunity to save some money! You all know the struggle of being broke #thelifeofacollegestudent. As my fitness account grows, I hope to be sponsored by well-known fitness industry companies such as 1-Up Nutrition, PeScience, Celestial Bodiez, etc.

HC: How has this passion influenced your academic/career goals?

MS: My passion for fitness and nutrition has influenced me to major in Dietetics. For those of you who don’t know, dietitians have expertise in nutrition and the regulation of diet. My dream job is to have my own business as a dietitian and personal trainer. A clean, nutrient-dense, healthy diet and exercise are the two major components in maintaining a lean physique. Abs are not only made in the gym but also in the kitchen!   

HC: What advice do you have for students who want to stay fit and eat right in college?

MS: First off, it is not easy. My main advice for students trying to stay fit and eat healthy in college is you have to truly want it and be committed to this lifestyle. You don’t need to go to the extreme by spending two or more hours at the gym every day, tracking your calories/macros, etc., like me. I do all that because I love it and it makes me happy.  However, instead of grabbing that extra slice of pizza that looks “so appealing”, grab an apple or a healthier alternative.  If you can spend more than two hours every day scrolling through twitter, sending countless memes to your boo thang, or watching hours of Netflix, you can definitely spend at least 30 minutes doing some form of exercise. Some exercise is better than no exercise, so keep that in mind. When it comes to nutrition, it’s all about balance.  It’s okay to have that medium box of Pokey sticks from Gumby’s or that six-pack of Insomnia Cookies… as long as it’s all in MODERATION!

HC: Finally, what would you say to the college students who also want to pursue their passions at such a young age? Where’s a good place to start?

MS: I’ve learned that patience is a virtue, without a doubt. Gaining followers, getting sponsored, etc. doesn’t happen overnight.  It takes hard work, dedication, commitment, and time.  You must truly want to pursue this lifestyle. In other words, no “cutting corners” or looking for an easy way into it. There will be days where the gym is the last place you want to be. There will be days that you’ll want to say, “screw a diet” and eat everything in sight. There will be days that you’ll want to spend hours in bed and binge-watch your favorite show on Netflix.  However, you’re going to have to push through those days because the good things in life don’t come easy.  Stay positive and stay motivated because all your hard work will pay off sooner or later.  When it comes to adopting a healthy lifestyle and beginning an exercise regimen, it’s never too late to start.  If you acknowledge the fact that you’re not satisfied with your eating habits, your body image, or anything else in life, you’re already at the best place to start your new and improved life.   

Courtesy: @mariaaafit on Instagram 

School: Florida State University Year: Senior Major: Editing, Writing, and Media