Wellness > Health

Maintaining My Sanity in College: Why the Gym Became My Sanctuary

Let’s be real, the transition from high school to college certainly isn’t easy. When I first moved up to school, I found myself prioritizing my academics at the expense of my sanity. Finding a balance between studying, involving myself on campus and maintaining a social life quickly turned into a downward spiral of feeling stressed and overburdened all the time, which I’m sure many of us can attest to.

The problem at hand was simple: I had adhered to this “norm” of trying to keep everything together when in reality I was losing my sh*t and throwing aside the importance of giving myself downtime. Much of what we feel as emotional beings is translated into our physical bodies and I knew the solution to all my stresses would be to release this physical tension. I quickly prioritized making the gym part of my daily routine.

The gym became my sanctuary, and it still is to this day. As busy college students, I believe it is crucial to find our sanctuary, somewhere we can go forget about our problems and responsibilities and recharge our minds. 

The gym became a safe place for me because it’s the time that I dedicate entirely to myself each day. The moment I began my workouts I felt like I was in my little world, where nothing else mattered and I depended entirely on myself and my efforts at that moment. That assignment I had due at midnight or that big exam I had coming up in two days suddenly became the least of my worries because I was able to mentally recharge and proceed to tackle my responsibilities with a clear mind.

woman working out
Photo by Clayton Scelzi from Unsplash

A lot of individuals associate going to the gym with losing weight or trying to stay active, but I think it’s important that we realize the bigger picture. Going to the gym doesn’t have to be all about trying to stay fit, it’s about challenging yourself to become stronger both physically and mentally by channeling negative energy into a workout. I found myself feeling more productive and confident because it allowed me to relieve stress and be energized throughout the rest of the day rather than letting my “to-do list” consume and overwhelm me.

Whether it be the gym, exercising outdoors or even taking up yoga, physical activity is a great way to improve your overall quality of life as a college student. It has allowed me to be a better person than I was previously because I’m pushing myself beyond my limits and learning to take pride in my efforts.

If you haven’t found your sanctuary yet, I would recommend doing so. The gym may not be everyone’s sanctuary of choice but having a place where you can set aside time for yourself to do things that genuinely make you happy and feel at ease makes a difference. Life can be rough and fast-paced but it’s important to remember that although school may be your priority, so should your sanity and well-being. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Gabriela is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Retail Entrepreneurship. Gabriela’s interests include fashion, beauty, fitness and spending time outside. After graduation Gabriela hopes to move to New York to pursue a masters degree in Fashion Management.
Her Campus at Florida State University.