Wellness > Mental Health

A Letter to Myself: How Your Failures Have Become Successes

I’m having a ROUGH semester. At times it seems like everything is against me. I feel like I’ve become someone I don’t recognize because I’m so down and negative all the time. As a result, I have decided to write a letter to myself. I’m writing this letter in the hopes that I can get myself out of this negative mindset I have fallen into. If it helps someone else along the way that would be great too!

Courtesy: Emma Matthews 

Dear Graciela,

You’re struggling hard. I get it, For the first time in your life, you might get a C or worse in your class, you keep forgetting assignments, you’re tired all the time and the list could go on. You even got your first ticket last weekend. All you can think to yourself is “What else could go wrong?” You’ve become the negative nelly you always strive to squash and I’m here to remind you to stay positive. Life isn’t supposed to be perfect and it never has been. Things haven’t always gone your way so why are you letting these hiccups get you down? Remember when you didn’t get into UF? Did you just sit around and cry all day and do nothing? Well, yes, but only for a little bit. After a few crying sessions, you got right back up and turned your failure (even though it wasn’t a failure in all honesty. Stop beating yourself up about it) into success. You came to Florida State and made the best out of it. You have grown into an independent girl that strives for things you never would have if you had stayed in your comfort zone. Heck, you’ve done so many interviews this past year I would never have imagined you’d do with your horrendous fear of them. Give yourself some credit and realize you’ve taken what life has thrown at you and made the best out of it.

Life might not always go your way, but it’s what you do about it that matters. You’re never going to fix your grade in organic chemistry if all you do is complain about how you’re failing. You need to get up just like you did when you didn’t get into UF and prove that you can do what you want to do. You can pass the class just put your mind to it! And even if you don’t, learn from it. The next time you take a hard class don’t take so many classes and responsibilities on top of it. Study every day. Life is always going to throw challenges your way. It’s time to stop moping and DO SOMETHING about it.

You need to start focusing on the positives instead of the negatives. Sure, you got a ticket this past weekend, but you got it on the way back from seeing some of the most important people in your life. Sure, you might have gotten a C on that test you studied so hard for, but things could be a lot worse. You could have gotten a D haha. One of your best qualities is your optimism. Don’t let your struggles take that away from you. You can come back from your failures. You’ve done it before, and you can do it again. I believe in you. So, get off the floor, dust yourself off and march through these last few weeks. You can do this.

Best,

Graciela

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Graciela is a senior at FSU currently majoring in behavioral neuroscience. She is striving to become a forensic pathologist after completing medical school in the future. She loves to read and watch movies in her free time!
Her Campus at Florida State University.