kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

I Had a Breast Reduction and It Changed My Life

I had a breast reduction at 16. 

Why? Well, it was kind of done on a whim. Kind of, but not really. I think I had always been subconsciously considering it. Honestly, by the summer going into my junior year of high school, it came up in conversation relatively frequently. Luckily, my mom had told me that if I ever ran into a problem, as my C cup grew into a D by my “tween” years, and then the D grew into a double D as my teen years came around, and then turning into a triple D before high school, she would support my decision for any kind of breast augmentation. In fact, she was the one who suggested I have the procedure done in the first place. 

Courtesy: Manu Espinosa

I had been an avid performer and competitive dancer for 10 years, and having big boobs was not ideal for millions of reasons. For starters, my costume choices were limited, the movements themselves were constrained and uncomfortable, my back was forever in pain, and on multiple occasions, I had to duct tape them down. Yes, you read that right. I had to literally duct tape my boobs down to keep them from making unexpected guest appearances. Working out? Running? Yeah, right! It was not an option when even doubling up on sports bras does absolutely nothing to support you. Shopping? Clothes that actually fit both my massive bust and slim waist did not exist for the longest time. 

As a short person, barely reaching 5’3 and ½ in stature, all these complications were becoming unbearable. It felt as though my own body was betraying me and becoming my greatest obstacle.

Courtesy: Manu Espinosa

The choice was clear. So, I went ahead and scheduled a consultation with a physician and on Oct. 3, 2017 (Happy Mean Girls Day to me!), at 11 o’clock in the morning, I woke up with fresh new and perky C-cup breasts. To this day, it is the best decision I ever made. I could finally raid my mom’s closet and steal clothes that actually fit!

Courtesy: Giphy

Of course, they’ve grown and changed a little since the procedure, but I have never been as happy with my body as I am now. From that point on, everything in my life had changed. I felt like I didn’t have to hide my body under oversized sweats and tee shirts because clothes finally fit me properly and I liked how they looked on my figure. Having this procedure not only changed my bra size but also unleashed some sassy, fearless potential inside of me. It’s amazing how changing one little thing (or, actually in my case, two big things) can open your eyes to see what you were meant to do. I was a new person and I haven’t looked back since.

Courtesy: Manu Espinosa

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Senior at FSU from Miami, Florida double majoring in English and Political Science.
Her Campus at Florida State University.