Wellness > Health

How to Pump Yourself Up for a Workout You Don’t Want to Do

Usually, after a full day of classes and work, the last thing I want to do is go to the gym. It’s inevitable; some days I’m just NOT feeling it. When motivation is lacking, I try and remind myself that even if I’m not up for it, consistency is key to long term results! Exercise is important, so I have a few tricks up my sleeve to get my booty to the gym (so I can grow that booty).

1. Drink water

Hydration is so important! And honestly, sometimes all you need is a big ol’ bottle of ice water to wake you up and make you feel super refreshed.

2. Have a snack

Preferably some carbs and protein. I find that this gives me more energy going into my workout, but remember to keep it light so that way you don’t cramp up during your workout! Foods like almonds and orange slices, crackers and hummus (my personal favorite), banana and almond butter or even the classic protein bar, anything you like could work!

3. Do a quick warm-up

Sometimes I’ll do some simple moves to get my blood flowing and just to remind my body how good it feels to actually get moving. A few minutes of jumping jacks, burpees or squat jumps can really wake you up and boost your energy levels.

4. Update your playlist

New music always gets me so pumped to work out! Download some new jams to get you real hype to go hard at the gym.

5. Have some caffeine

A lot of studies have shown that caffeine before a workout can be really effective: green tea, espresso shots, even dark chocolate (drooling). Whatever works for you!

6. Remind yourself why you’re working out

Many of us are doing our best to focus on our fitness goals. Whether that’s losing weight, gaining muscle, longer endurance or just trying to get that spring break bod ready (maybe even all of the above!). Spending a few minutes meditating on your goal before a workout can really bring about some powerful feelings of intention and focus.

7. Get a workout buddy

Courtesy: Best Health Magazine

If you’re one to bail out on your workouts simply because you don’t want to go, working out with someone and having a schedule will really hold you accountable. It’s easier to let yourself down and not go to the gym than to let your friend down and not show up, you know?

8. Do an at-home workout instead

You shouldn’t feel shame if the gym isn’t your favorite place. There are plenty of ways to still get in a great workout without even having to leave your home! There are so many awesome videos out there on the internet so if you really don’t want to go to the gym, you can easily find a killer workout video of your choice on the web.

9. Take a warm-up walk outside

Fresh air and nature are really quite powerful. When I’m feeling lazy or unmotivated, I find that just being outside and breathing in fresh air for a few minutes really does wake me up and make me feel more energized for my workout. 

10. And of course, take a rest day and listen to your body

If you’ve been going hard for weeks and you’re feeling tired, just take a day off and don’t beat yourself up over it! The gym will always be there tomorrow, and your body will be grateful for the break. 

Katarina is a senior at Florida State University studying Creative Writing with a double minor in Education and Communications. You can find her at your local library reading a good book or writing for her blog https://katarinamartinez13.wixsite.com/kmartinezreads As an aspiring novelist and content writer, she is always looking to spread love and joy everywhere she goes.