I don’t think a lot of us can argue that we haven’t learned anything about health in the past year. Along with the stress and sadness of quarantine, there were a lot of positive outcomes. The past year has been about growth and learning about each other and oneself. During last year, I’ve learned so much about myself, my mental health and my body. All this new information and knowledge about how my body reacts to different workouts in different routines is something amazing that I’m gonna keep working on forever. There have been so many new things I’ve tried since quarantine started and since my health journey started a few years ago.

Everything I do today related to my health and workouts is something I’ve spent a lot of time researching and trying myself. Trial and error are going to be your best friend when it comes to figuring out what works for you. It took me years to figure out what kind of workouts help strengthen my body and what kind of diet suits me and my lifestyle. I’m also still in the process of learning all those things and I currently use trial and error in my life and my health journey right now. It’s important to also reward yourself for putting in the effort. That’s where I’ve constantly messed up in the past. I’ve learned that I have to give myself more credit when I’m trying to learn new things! 

weights and smoothie
Photo by Derick Mckinney from Unsplash
Along with fixing your mentality, there’s a whole world of workouts and different types of exercises that range from beginner to advanced. The only thing you have to figure out is where you want to start and when. If you’re new to working out I recommend trying a fitness class. Getting into the new workout groove can be jump-started when you’re pushed by a group of other motivated people. If you’ve already been working out and need a routine that’s new and more advanced, try a strengthening workout. Recently I’ve been using resistance bands I bought off Amazon and they’ve helped me gain so much strength. Typically, a set of resistance bands includes different ranges of difficulty and choosing the resistance you want for your workout is key to this kind of strengthening exercise. Honestly, these bands have changed my workout routine since quarantine started and I use them in almost every workout. 

Have you learned anything about nutrition in the past year? Well, luckily for us there are so many resources for clean eating. Whether you’ve learned anything about healthy foods and what to fuel your body with, it’s important to take time and expand your knowledge of food. If you’re like anyone else who went through quarantine, you’ve probably sharpened up your knife skills and mastered some new recipes. Cooking yourself food at home is one of the many ways to take care of your body and mind at the same time. Spending time with yourself or a loved one while cooking a healthy dish is a great health habit to start to incorporate if you aren’t doing it already. If you need professional help with your diet, seek a certified individual such as a nutritionist or dietitian. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

I am a sophomore studying psychology! I am also a new member to HC and excited for everything coming soon!