yasmine on the track
yasmine on the track
Photo by Yasmine Abbes
Career

The FSU Track Star Turned 1500 Meter Champion From the Netherlands, Yasmine Abbes

Yasmine Abbes is an international student in her sophomore year at Florida State University on the physical therapy track. She is a member of FSU’s division one cross country and track and field team and has represented the Netherlands at the European track championships. This spring, she competed in the U20 Dutch track and field champion and won first place in the 1500 meter and the 5000 meters. 

Her Campus (HC): What age did you start running?

Yasmine Abbes (YA): I was about six or seven years old, but I didn’t focus on only running. In the Netherlands, people don’t start only focusing on one event. I tried all the events, but I was not good at high-jump or long-jump, but I was good at running, and I loved it. When I was 12 years old, I decided to focus only on running.

HC: Why did you decide to come to America for college?

YA: In America, the combination of athletics and academics is perfect. You can practically be a pro-runner while being in college. That is really special because in the Netherlands, it’s just not like that. It’s just a really great experience; I’ve learned a lot from being in another country.

HC: What drew you to Florida State?

YA: At first, I had no idea about college in America and didn’t know where to go. I talked with Susan Kruimns [a Dutch Olympian who went to Florida State] who went to FSU many years ago, and she ran really well. I went on two visits (not to FSU!) but heard about the school, and it sounded like it would be the perfect place for me. Now that I’m here, I know that FSU is the best, and it was the best decision ever. I like everything about the team at FSU: the people, facilities, the coaching staff and the girls. They are all doing a lot for you, and that is really special.

yasmine at a meet
Photo by Yasmine Abbes

HC: The U20 Dutch championship for track was recent. How did that go for you?

YA: The race was about three weeks ago, and I decided to run the 1500 and 5000. The 1500 meter started really strong, and with less than a lap to go, I started to really speed up and try to lose the girls behind me. I just kept running fast and looked around and was like, “I did it!” My goal was to win that race, so I was really happy with how it went. Three hours later, I had to run that 5000 meters and I was just wanting to do it for fun after my win. My plan was to run straight behind the first girl and wait, and with 300 meters to go, I realized that I could win! I had no idea that I was able to win the 5k, and after the race, I was so tired but so happy that I won.

HC: What was it like representing your country on an international level?

YA: It is so cool wearing the national uniform, and you get to work with many people you are not used to competing with. The Europeans are really big and very professional; everyone there is a good runner otherwise, you wouldn’t be there. I’m always really nervous. But you’ve got your whole country supporting you, and that’s really cool.

Yasmine with flag
Photo by Yasmine Abbes

HC: How did COVID-19 affect your ability to train and compete?

YA: Track is my favorite season, and I was really excited to finally do well on the track and show that I am a good runner. One week before our first race, the whole American track season got canceled, and I was so sad. I thought I would stay in America, but as things got worse, I had to go back to the Netherlands. That track season got canceled as well, and I couldn’t use the track or any facilities, so that made things harder. Luckily you can run everywhere, so that made things much easier. I actually went to Switzerland for a race before we had races in the Netherlands. When things started getting better in the Netherlands, the tracks re-opened and eventually, we got to run a few meets, which was really exciting, and I’m really grateful that I got to race at all, and I can’t wait for our next track season!

Yasmine’s Track Personal Bests: 

800 Meters- 2:08 

1500 Meters- 4:23

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest!

Alexandra Straumann is a junior at Florida State University double majoring in Criminology and Political Science. She is so excited to be apart of HerCampus FSU and explore her passion for writing and cannot wait to see what HerCampus has in store; happy reading! instagram: @alex_straumann