With the new FSU decisions having come out recently, I started reflecting a bit on my freshman year. For me, freshman year was by no means easy, but I have grown a lot since then. I tried to scrape my brain for the things I learned and tried to figure out how I could share some of that in a way that could help other girls during what is already a pretty uncertain time. Things right now are just so different than they were then for a variety of reasons. I ended coming up with five affirmations that are simply essential for your first year of college. They were things I need to remind myself frequently that first year and now try to live in the truth of them and have found a lot of comfort with.

1. I will figure out what you want to do.

Starting nice and cliche. So many freshmen come in thinking they know exactly what they want to do and have picked their major beforehand and have this whole idea of what they think it will look like. Quite frankly, college will inevitably shake things up for you. This isn’t to say that you have no idea what you want just yet but when you get started studying the details of your major you can quickly realize that maybe this isn’t what you had in mind. That is not only healthy but a generally amazing thing to be cognizant about. I faced this my freshman year starting as a theatre major. The first semester I felt like a sort of honeymoon period. I adored it and felt more passionate about it than I ever have in my entire life. Because of that comfort and passion, I decided to try new things in the theatre realm. In doing so I realized I had other skills that I hadn’t ever even allowed myself to explore. This realization combined with a sudden downward fall in my interest in my classes showed me that maybe theatre wasn’t for me. Now I’m studying management of all things and I have an even clearer picture of what I want to do with my life that I only came to because I let myself explore and stood firm on the fact, I would eventually figure out what I wanted to do.

2. I will find my people in time.

Freshman year is tough in this regard. Personally, I have never been a social butterfly, I solidified my group of friends in high school right at the end as we were almost graduating. This is something I still have to remind myself. It can be very difficult dealing with so many new things on what seems like on your own that first year. It is so important to remember that college is a clean slate and to really reflect on what that means for you. The people you meet will only know the person you are now and what you tell them. Whatever you may have struggled with or mistakes you made in the past have no hold on you now unless you let them. It is so difficult, and it takes a lot of effort in making new friends, I think that’s something we should all be honest about. Balancing that though is the reward of feeling seen and having people that you can call upon when you need it most. Allowing yourself to be open and kind will go a long way but just know that in the end, you will find the people that support you through and through.

Overhead view of Students In Class
Photo by Mikael Kristenson from Unsplash

3. Grades do not define me.

Another more cliche type thing but it still reigns true! This is something you will have to lean into especially in your first year. You have to give yourself the kindness to realize that you are going through a variety of life changes so if your grades aren’t perfect, that is okay. It’s also worth mentioning there will be a period that you are likely taking a load of classes filled with things you may not be all that interested in to get those general education credits. It’s important to just take it as it comes because yeah they’re a bit of an annoyance but you never know if that one random class brings something new into your life. As long as you are truly trying your best, it is okay that you have a few lower grades in those, particularly difficult classes.

4. I deserve breaks and to have fun.

This is one caaan be a bit tricky. I bring things up in way of trying to not overwork yourself. I have no idea what the fall class layout may look like, but burnout is so very real especially with online/zoom classes. Sometimes I struggle with giving myself breaks after not doing so well on assignments or tests. I feel more guilt than ever in those moments, when in reality that is when it is the most important to cut loose. Even if it’s something as simple as watching a few episodes of your favorite show, those breaks are essential to keeping a sustainable college life. You have to give yourself some time away so you can recenter. Just be careful it doesn’t slip into a form of procrastination.

5. Doing my best is more than enough.

This one. This is really *the* one. Once again it’s just all about the kindness you provide yourself. Freshman year is an amazing yet challenging time. If you are allowing yourself to be open and put in your best effort for that current moment then that is all you can expect for yourself to do. Your motivation and emotion will fluctuate from day to day with all these new experiences and tasks at hand so just take it one day at a time.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Alana Torres is an alumnus of Florida State. She majored in Business Management and Marketing. She loves all genres of books and music. Other than reading with her current hyper-fixation playlist, Alana can be found scrolling on Instagram or making funky earrings.
Her Campus at Florida State University.