nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Collegiette’s “Before Summer” To-Do List

And just like that, Spring Break is gone. A relaxing week of Caribbean cruises and sandy beaches has quickly been forgotten, replaced with the harsh reality of eventual finals and unwanted responsibilities. It’s easy to get overwhelmed at this point in the semester, or completely give up on school altogether. Don’t get behind or give up just yet, collegiettes. Check out this to-do list and keep pushing through spring semester!

Figure Out Your Living Arrangements!

Are you currently living on campus but staying in Tallahassee for summer classes? Now’s the time to start exploring your options! There are specific Facebook groups, such as “The FSU Sub-Leaser Search” that help connect students looking to get out of their lease with those who need an apartment for just the summer months. Seeing as many people are graduating or studying abroad, you can essentially find open rooms at any apartment complex of your choice. Many times students will advertise their apartment at a reduced rate or even cover sublease fees, allowing you to make a decision based on what works best for you.

If you’re looking to sublease your apartment for the summer, now is definitely the time to start posting. Check with your friends, make an announcement with your sorority or fraternity, and don’t forget to post on Facebook. The more often you post, the more likely you are to find someone! Even though there’s a lot going on as the semester comes to a close, don’t postpone advertising your apartment. There’s nothing worse than having to pay rent for a room you’re not living in!

Don’t Forget to Study for Finals…

Although we all still have vacation on our minds, spring break is over and chances are your responsibilities are piling up. Final papers, group projects, portfolios, ugh. While it’s easy to mentally check out and binge watch Netflix for the next few weeks, it’s definitely not the wisest decision. You’ve probably got a lot on your plate, but finish the semester strong by getting a head start on your big assignments now. Not many people like having to write a ten-page paper, but the truth of the matter is it’s got to get done. Grab a coffee, sit outside, enjoy the beautiful spring Tallahassee weather, and slowly start chipping away! If you write a page a day, you’ll be so grateful once finals week comes around. With so much going on, don’t forget to sign up for classes either! Speak with an advisor, get your holds lifted, and make sure you reserve a spot in the classes you need. There’s nothing worse than being off track or having all 8 AMs…

Last Minute Internships? Summer Jobs?

Summer is the perfect time to land the internship of your dreams. Paris, New York, Boston, Chicago; big cities are always offering college students summer internship opportunities. That being said, many companies have application deadlines that are swiftly approaching. If staying in Tallahassee is not really on your to-do list, now’s the time to start researching and compiling a strong resume. With no classes and a clear schedule, summer is the perfect time to intern, as you can fully commit and immerse yourself in the experience.

With ample opportunity to network and explore future career possibilities, internships are a great introduction to the working world. Although many internships are unpaid, the experience and connections you’re exposed to will come in handy when you ultimately begin your job search. Websites such as Intern Match join you with opportunities and employers all over the United States; so don’t be afraid to apply! If you’re going home for the summer, it might be a good idea to get to work. Camp counselor jobs are always popular, as you’re likely to get serious hours or consider calling your bosses from high school. If you’ve got a job lined up for when you get home, that’s one less thing to worry about!

Sarah Shellabarger is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in English - Editing, Writing, Media and minoring in Communications. This is her third semester as a HCFSU staff writer. When she's not drowning in assigned readings, Sarah enjoys attempting to get celebrities to follow her on Twitter, daily Dunkin Donuts trips, praising Stevie Nicks, and (unsuccesfully) begging her boyfriend to buy her a kitten. Sarah hopes to one day put her witty banter to good use by writing for a clever yet underappreciated TV show, and eventually becoming the next Tina Fey.    
Her Campus at Florida State University.