Wellness

Kappa, Koffee, and Goats: How FSU’s KKG Is Brewing Support for Mental Health

Mental health is a topic that is especially relevant on college campuses. Many people experience mental health challenges throughout their lives, especially college students who balance busy schedules and stress. Through their philanthropic efforts, Kappa Kappa Gamma (KKG) at FSU aims to end the stigma around mental health and do their best to support those affected by mental illness. KKG will be holding a philanthropy event this March, their third annual Kappa, Koffee, and Goats event!

Kappa, Koffee, and Goats will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday, March 5 at the Kappa Kappa Gamma Chapter Facility (528 W Jefferson St.). Those who purchase a ticket will be able to enjoy a delicious cup of coffee and a donut, create a small flower bouquet, and play with an adorable baby goat. Tickets can be purchased for $8 on KKG’s CrowdChange page. Buying a ticket at the door will cost $11.

You can enjoy many fun and aesthetic activities at this event! But you may be wondering: where is the money from tickets and donations going? All proceeds from this event will go to KKG’s two philanthropic partners: the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation. Half of the donations raised through this event will go to NAMI, a quarter will go to the KKG Foundation, and the other quarter will be donated to a philanthropic partner chosen by the women in the chapter: the local NAMI organization in Tallahassee.

NAMI is an organization that the women of KKG are passionate about, as the chapter votes each year to choose their philanthropic partner from a list of various mental health organizations. NAMI is an active organization in Tallahassee and on FSU’s campus, as there is a NAMI chapter at FSU.

NAMI on Campus hosts meetings and events to educate students at Florida State about mental illness and reduce the stigma. Many women of KKG hold their philanthropy close to their hearts and are active in FSU NAMI. FSU KKG’s Philanthropy Director, Grace Martin, supports membership. She says, “NAMI on Campus is a great opportunity to make friends and learn more about how to best support yourself and those around you!”

The Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation works to keep KKG moving in a positive direction by working with alumni to provide members with many resources. The foundation provides emergency disaster relief, educational opportunities, and financial support. A quarter of the funds raised through Kappa, Koffee, and Goats will go to the foundation and help uplift the women of KKG.

The national Kappa Kappa Gamma organization has only recently embarked on a new philanthropic focus — mental health and wellbeing. Mental health issues have affected people for a long time, but it’s only in the 21st century that the stigma around mental health has been challenged and people have become more open about the issue. In 2021, KKG felt it was time to reevaluate its philanthropic goals, and it proudly changed its focus to educate, raise awareness, and reduce the stigma around mental health and well-being.

FSU’s chapter feels it’s important to fundraise in support of their philanthropic partners. They work to educate both their members and the public on mental health and support those who struggle with mental illness. Through their philanthropic events, like Kappa, Koffee, and Goats, they are able to raise awareness of mental health and raise money for NAMI.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Abigail Botsford is a freshman at FSU majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Communication. This is her second semester in Her Campus and she is on Media Staff. Outside of Her Campus, Abigail is involved in the honors program, Best Buddies, and FSU's Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter. In her free time, Abigail enjoys going to the beach, reading, and spending time with friends.