This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Often times in college many of us struggle to stay calm and positive especially with the stress of classes and other responsibilities. It’s hard to succeed in school, but even harder to keep a positive mindset while doing so. Even though it’s important to do well academically, it’s even more important, in my opinion, to do well mentally. It’s so important to treat yourself and relax in a healthy way to not only boost your self-confidence, but to also help you use your time productively. Remember, it’s okay to take a break from homework and studying if you’re feeling a little stressed. Here are some healthy coping mechanisms to help you stay on track. 

Stretch in the morning 

You don’t have to wake up at an obscene hour to do some early morning yoga or anything like that. You could just roll out of bed sit on your floor and do some very simple stretches to wake your body up in the morning such as stretching your neck, touching your toes, the butterfly, stretching your arms, and many other simple stretches you can find. It helps wake your body up in the morning before you start your day and you feel a little more refreshed.

Drinking water 

Now a lot of you might be saying “Of course she said drinking water like every other twitter feed about self-growth” but trust me on this. Your body is made up of about 60% water and it’s important to nourish your body with what it needs to feel good. Sometimes feeling good can just start by hydrating yourself. Everyone should drink at least half their body weight in ounces of water. For example, if someone weighs 140 pounds, they should drink at least 70 ounces of water a day. Now that may sound like a lot of water, but it’s easy to achieve. I personally have a 40-ounce water bottle that I got from TJ Maxx that was no more than $10. I take it with me everywhere I go and refill it after every meal. Since I eat three meals a day, if I refill it three times I’m drinking up to 120 ounces of water which is more than enough. Drinking water has so many benefits such as boosting energy, improving your complexion, prevents headaches, flushes out toxins and countless other benefits too. Drinking a lot of water not only is good for you, but you honestly feel so much healthier overall.

Make your bed in the morning 

This may seem more of a chore than a healthy coping mechanism, but hear me out. I know it’s hard to get out of bed for most of us, myself included, but making your bed after you get up really does help you throughout the day. For example, if you have a class in the morning and you don’t make your bed before you leave for class, when you come back and see your bed unmade and just as comfy as when you left it you’re more prone to jump right back into it (I’m a huge culprit of this). But if you make your bed in the morning, when you come back from class or work, if it’s made there’s less of a chance you’re going to unmake your bed and ruin all your hard work. Instead compromise with yourself and sit on your made bed and maybe read a book, make your schedule for the day, or just sit and relax. And it’s okay to take naps from time to time too I’m not discounting that, but know what your body really needs. If you got 8+ hours of sleep the night before you might not really need a nap instead try to use your time another way.

Exercise 

Ugh, I know. The dreadful concept of exercising. Now I’m not shaming exercising and those who are passionate about it, I very much admire, but I also know for a lot of us it can be a struggle. Exercise not only can get your body in shape but also your mind. A concept that may seem unlikely, but the endorphins, such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin, actually boost your mood during and especially after your workout. And a plus is that you can be proud of yourself for working out! You don’t have to go the gym to work out either because I know many of us get social anxiety at the gym, but an awesome alternative is doing simple work outs in your dorm or bedroom. Exercise doesn’t have to be spending an hour at the gym. It can be as simple as doing small workouts in your room for 20 minutes. Anything that’ll get your blood pressure up and those endorphins flowing.

Skin Care 

One of the most important and helpful things for me personally is skin care. Cleaning your skin and taking care of your body can calm you down and bring peace to your mind. You can simply just wash your face, do a face mask, or even do your make up if you want. Make up usually isn’t seen as skin care, but when I’m not feeling too good mentally sometimes doing a full face of make-up boosts my confidence and helps me feel better about myself. And then after you can start your skin care regimen and make your skin extra happy. Just know with or without make up, you’re still so beautiful.

Though these are only 5 of hundreds of ways you can cope healthily or sustain a healthy mind what’s important to know is it’s okay if you can’t manage to do everything. If you couldn’t go to the gym that week, it’s okay. If you didn’t make your bed this morning, it’s okay. If the only thing you were able to do today was get out of bed and brush your teeth, that’s a win! When we’re feeling down it’s hard to appreciate the little victories in our day, but just know you’ve done the best you could and that’s amazing. Be proud of yourself no matter what.

Colleen Fitzgerald

Framingham '22

psychology major a cancer that really likes plants, skin care, and lavender