This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Your brand new Forever 21 top has been ruined due to a morning coffee spill, you left your wallet at home and are unable to buy lunch, and the exam you prepared so hard for turned out much more difficult than you imagined.You guessed it, it’s one of those days. You know, the one’s where every single that that could possibly go wrong, goes wrong?

I’m sure that we have all experience these days at one point or another during college, and that’s okay. Here is my solution to the madness of a “bad day” and how I transform it into a good one:

1. Find A Quiet Place & Take A Few Deep Breaths

You always hear people say, “just take a deep breath” and probably think it’s such a cliché thing to say. But, it surprisingly proves itself true. When we take deep breaths, it relaxes the parasympathetic nervous system (aka rest and digest) and decreases heart rate as well as blood pressure. So, find a quiet place; whether it’s a bathroom, elevator, or your car, and take a few deep breaths. Your body will end up calming down and soon enough, your mind.  

2. Get Yourself Into A Good Environment

Whether it’s at home with your dogs being attacked with slobbery kisses, having a talk with the person who inspires you in your life the most, a quick drive to the beach, or a last minute lunch with your girl gang; be with people who make you feel good. Not just any people, but people who speak more positivity than negativity. You’d be surprised how quickly your mood shifts when venting to people who truly care for you and leave you with something uplifting to hold onto.  

3. Use Those Muscles…Exercise! photo: http://www.adoptiontriad.org/exercise/

Any workout that makes you sweat and feel good after you finish is a key contributor to enhancing any crappy day. Whether it’s running the treadmill for 5 minutes, or driving to the gym and doing some ab workouts, do it! I find that the gym is one of the greatest de-stressors! It makes you work hard to meet a goal, whether it’s completing a certain amount of reps in an exercise, or beating a certain time for your mile run. You’ll find it leaves your body feeling refreshed, active, and keeps your mind off anything weighing you down.

4.Turn It Off

Your phone, laptop, tablet, Turn. It. Off. For 10 minutes, 40 minutes, however long it takes. Sometimes the only way to clear your head is to turn off the social media or distraction that makes you just that much more stressed out. This gives you an opportunity to disconnect from reality for a bit and recollect yourself and your thoughts. Remind yourself how incredible you are and how you can get through today during this brief time away from electronics. You will boost your own self confidence and in turn strengthen your mental health.  

5. Do Something For Someone Else

Surprising? I bet. But necessary. Whether it’s a small gesture of kindness such as holding the door for someone, or complimenting them on their outfit..DO IT! You’ll find their smile from your action does something more for you, than for them at times. You feel better knowing even though your day isn’t the best, you made someone’s better and therefore yours takes an upward turn from it.

Point blank: You CAN overcome a bad day! Use the resources you have to your advantage and remind yourself better days do exist and they’re ahead of you.

Xoxo,

Bri