The New & Improved Wellness and Recreation Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you’ve been on FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus before, then you know that a big part of it has been a construction zone for a while. One of the major projects the university has been working tirelessly on is the expansion of the Wellness and Recreation Center.

It’s been in the works since Spring 2016, and the great news is that it will finally be opening its doors in October of this year. The original Wellness and Recreation Center was slightly over 50,000 square feet. With this new expansion in place, an additional 60,000 square feet will be included! Whether, you’re a basketball player, a runner, or you prefer to relax and unwind after class with yoga – at the new WRC, there’s something for everybody.

So, what can students expect from the new expansion?

1. A new 3-court basketball/volleyball gymnasium
  2. Expansion of both the free weight and cardio areas
  3. 1 racquetball court and 1 racquetball/squash convertible court
  4. Expansion of both men’s & women’s locker rooms with 2 gender-neutral changing/shower rooms
  5. A dedicated Spinning room
  6. A small-group functional training fitness room
  7. A matted room for martial arts, yoga, and other fitness activities
  8. A Fitness Assessment Office for personal trainers to work with their clients
  9. A collaborative workspace and additional offices for staff
  10. Additional circulation and casual socializing lounge space
  11. 2 outdoor basketball courts and a sand volleyball court
  12. A 1/10 mile indoor jogging/walking track
  13. A new south entrance!  

As FIU is constantly growing, the need for a new and improved space for students to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle has grown as well. The development of the Wellness and Recreation Center is a worthy addition to the university, and will be used by all future generations of Panthers to come!

Cover Photo: http://panthernow.com/2015/09/21/overcrowded-wrc-calls-for-expansion/

My name is Amanda and I'm currently a senior at FIU studying Management. When I'm not busy writing, I love working on my photography, traveling, hanging out at the beach and creating content for my blog!