This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Everyone should have an outlet where they can express their emotions and their creativity. Some things like drawing and painting may work for some, but not all. One thing that I suggest for everyone would be journaling. Journaling helps you sort your thoughts and emotions so you don’t feel clogged or overwhelmed, and I advise everyone to use one! Journals can be bought anywhere from Target to Walmart and even CVS/Walgreens!

Especially for those starting college, it can be easy to get swept up in the fast-paced environment. Often times there are no breaks to be able to sit back and unwind. Journals help satisfy that need and can help declutter the mind. A quick 5 minutes to jot down your emotions and how your day went can easily relax any tension you may be feeling. Don’t see journaling as just a “dumb diary,” view your journal as a tool to relieve stress, track progress and growth, and even boost immune function.

Journaling is a way of expressing and releasing your feelings and thoughts. It has the potential to be a very effective healing tool. Journaling can be like talking to someone about your feelings, experiences, and emotions. It can help you release these thoughts and emotionally process what you’ve been through. By assisting you in prioritizing problems, anxieties, and concerns, journaling can help you control your symptoms and enhance your mood. Keep track of any symptoms on a daily basis so you can identify triggers and learn how to better handle them. Allowing for positive self-talk and the identification of negative thoughts.

A few benefits of journaling include:

• Respond appropriately towards your emotions
  • Reduces blood pressure
  • Helps cultivate gratitude
  • Helps cope with trauma
  • Improves memory
  • Gain self confidence

And don’t think journaling is a sign of weakness or only for girls. Journaling has no gender, and can benefit all no matter the circumstances. College is a hard time for everyone, and journaling can help relieve any intense thoughts and emotions that could plague your mind and distract you. The purpose of journaling above all is to relieve stress and enhance happiness, so always follow your mind and listen to what your heart tells you. Writing down what you feel can seriously help analyze and break down why you may feel that way.

As a newer journal owner, I can vouch and say that this is one of the best decisions I could make for myself and my college career. I feel decluttered and organized. The mind is a file cabinet, and it’s always good to organize files and do spring cleaning whenever it’s necessary, especially to strengthen memory. Journaling can help organize those files in your brain, and can allow for better opportunities.

Always be grateful and manifest abundance in your life. When you have a gray cloud over your head, it can be hard to appreciate the good in life, and often times we feel like we’re drowning in a puddle. When you take a step back and read what’s going on in your life, it can be easier to formulate solutions and understand what you should do. Asking yourself questions like “but why?” or “should I have done/said that?” promotes growth and an open mind. Keep your head high and keep doing you!

Ariana (she/her) is a Puerto Rican majoring in psychology with a minor in English. She is currently the social media director of Her Campus at Florida International University. Hoping to gain more experience throughout her college career, Ariana is an ambitious writer who is ready to take on whatever lies ahead!