kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Gym Tech – Is It Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

You know when you’re thinking about health and fitness and realize, “It’s time,” that’s been me for a while now when it comes to working out. I’ve gone through stages where I used to be very into fitness, even becoming a “gym rat,” and other times when… not so much. But, this time just seemed a little different. Literally everyone has expensive activity trackers on their wrists, headphones, workout gear– you name it and people are using it. Maybe I never paid much attention or maybe it’s been that long since I’ve been to the gym, but do these things actually make a difference in your work out?

Here are some products you see in the gym that I’ve gotten the chance to try.

Apple Watch

(Image Source)

Of course, the number one thing I see, and most people see, is everyone sporting around an Apple Watch. I begged for one for Christmas, just because I heard such amazing things about it and how it can influence your fitness and everyday activities. This watch is expensive, and it is a luxury. No one really needs an Apple Watch for working out purposes when there are other products on the market that can track similar things and that are more affordable. However, in my time using it, I’ve grown to love it and thank my parents for the investment they made on it. With the Apple Watch you can track your overall movement for the day, how much you exercise, how long you’ve been standing, calories, heart rate, specific workouts that you’re doing and of course you have the perks of being able to text and go on social media. I genuinely believe that an Apple Watch is worth it, if you’re willing to spend the money and actually use it. The series 3 Apple Watch in the smaller size retails for $329, but you can get the Series 1 or 2 for cheaper and they basically do the same things.

Beats

(Image Source)

These are another item that I’ve seen many people using at the gym. At first, I thought they would be bulky, too annoying and not worth the money whatsoever. Then…I tried them one work out and everything changed. The music projects into your ears so clearly, drowns out all the noise around you and they’re wireless so you don’t have to deal with frustrating tangled cords. I feel like they helped me focus entirely on my workout and I got very into the music I was playing. These are amazing. Another option that I see are the Apple AirPods. Personally, I feared that since I lose everything, it would be really easy to lose one or both of the pods. But, there’s great comments about these as well if you’re looking to stray away from your normal corded headphones. The Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones retail for around $219, whereas the Apple AirPods retail for $159.

Fitbit

(Image Source)

When I first started working out religiously, I purchased the Fitbit Flex 2 (as pictured above) mostly because it was the cheapest one (retailing at $60) and I wanted some sort of activity tracker to let me know how I was doing when working out. Unfortunately, I didn’t like this one specifically because it doesn’t show you your progress on your wrist, only on an app you have to download on your phone. There are other Fitbit’s, such as the Fitbit Alta, that shows your progress on your wrist while still having a minimalist look (retailing $128.95). Fitbits are a great alternative if you don’t think a smart watch is for you or you are staying on a lower budget.

Hopefully these helped in some way when deciding if one of these products are a good option for you. I know at the gym, at least for me, it can be a little overwhelming. It’s great to have an activity tracker or an awesome way to listen to music that might be able to motivate you a little more.

Until next time!

Xoxo,

Adri

Cover photo