Wellness > Mental Health

5 Things You Should Add to Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Q 89EYtYsSHGq 02ceU KOb1V1P8WBRNLMgReTRl0YCner3Pohsu9R nZs BCR8Ps

“5…4…3…2…1…Happy New Year!” Each year thousands of individuals start a countdown to track the time it takes for their clocks to strike 12 AM. Soon afterwards, a variety of traditions take place – from consuming a dozen grapes to running outside with empty suitcases. However, regardless of what traditions one may have, it is known that thousands of individuals make at least one promise to themselves at the start of every new year. We have come to recognize this as one’s “New Year’s Resolutions.” Oftentimes, promises include traveling, financial prosperity, and/or romantic relationships, but rarely included are the promises one can include to better their mental health, wellness, and overall self. So, here are 5 things you should add to your New Year’s resolutions list to do exactly that.

1) Meditating. I know what you’re thinking and no, you don’t have to wear a saffron robe, walk barefoot, or follow any type of religion to practice the art of mediation. Anyone can do it and the long term effects are beyond beneficial. In fact, mediation is known for lowering stress levels, improving focus, and increasing creativity. Meditating is even proven to reduce negative emotions, helping you make 2022 a brighter and more positive year!

FYg419Z7q07AahPXtEvNVh3a7WH7RzLJaa8nOxoU5csHs3Ej84jcfWUGCQQV exCiCJKH6Cx1PA1MsF32CoKfexmD7OjC2n5XXcNoxgDTLuc1S rRvZyaAme3sy7G0ed8n8VejK6

2) Journaling. In life we all go through a series of ups and downs, highs and lows, and we deal with all the good and all the bad that’s put in our way. To help cope with all the emotions this year may bring, a great mechanism to practice this year is journaling. When taking a few minutes to write down your thoughts each day, it has been proven that you can actually manage anxiety, lower stress levels, and cope with depression. Moreover, by prioritizing your thoughts, concerns, and feelings, journaling can help you learn how to control these feelings while also improving your mood. This makes journaling a must to add to your New Year’s resolutions.

kbHwaKe8lfxVe1MXvbGNk9OJBRdhj L2KGf8mjja8nPHS1HVlj8UYUi9ZgjmOJ9XnkFH9zoKbkckn6MoZgSun3V9KZJR5WBtAC 1pU02nCycj12CY8LbQXicdcOfWebWhmNqnHHT

3) Hydrating. “Gorgeous gorgeous girls, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!” You probably have been told to make sure to drink lots of water, either by your doctors, parents, or friends. If not, I am telling you right now to make sure to hydrate! Drinking water has a wide range of benefits such as weight loss, glowing skin, productivity, less migraines, and it even reduces your risk of cancer. It’s a miracle liquid in a bottle. So bottoms up!

4) Self love. We have heard it before, but what exactly is self love? Self love means prioritizing your well-being and happiness; it means putting your needs and yourself first. It might sound selfish, but in reality, if you do not take care of yourself first, how can you care and be there for others? This year make it a habit to avoid comparing yourself to others, to disregard other people’s opinions, and be kind to yourself. A few ways you can do this is by practicing positive affirmations, opening up your favorite face mask, and taking a break from technology for at least an hour each day.

2BwE xk4 26XwaK4KvusVBpdhR okqSWu4OGwozUA37qYRAA

Even though it is no longer January, and you may be thinking that it might be too late to add on to your New Year’s resolutions, the truth is that it is never too late to start. It only matters that you take the first step to reach your goals and promises. So if you are waiting for a sign – this is it. Start!

Genesis is a freshman majoring in Biological Sciences on the Premed Track. Although she enjoys all of her pre-med classes, she also has a strong passion for writing. In her free time, you can find her at the beach or at your nearest coffee shop.