This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Self-love is defined as the regard for one’s own well-being and happiness. This has been conceptualized as not only a human desire, but as a basic human necessity. The biggest struggle we as humans face when it comes to self-love is how exactly we are supposed to love ourselves. 

For all of you who may feel you may struggle with learning how to self-love, there is no need to fear anymore, we have got you covered! Follow these tips we have, and I guarantee you will be surprised how much they will help in accomplishing that self-love you have been searching for. 

First, we cannot stress the importance of not comparing yourself to others. The society we live in not only teaches us to be competitive but also makes us feel as though we must look a certain way in order to be accepted by society’s “standards.” We are all our own selves, and there is only one of us! Comparing ourselves to others will only cause us to bring ourselves down. There is no need to change who you are, we are all perfect in our own ways and should never have to feel as though we must change our appearance or personality in order to be like someone else. 

While this may be hard to do, one of the most beneficial things you can do for yourself when it comes to accomplishing self-love is letting go of the toxic people in your life. It may seem scary to do so, but is important to not be afraid of distancing yourself from people who bring toxicity into your life. It may hurt to do so, but once those people are no longer a part of your life, it will feel liberating. 

Most importantly, always remember to trust yourself in everything you do. We are all guilty of doubting ourselves and our ability to do the right thing. Meanwhile, we know in our hearts what is best for us. You know yourself better than anyone else, and that is something that should never be forgotten. 

Self- love is a forever evolving process, and if you follow these few tips, and we promise loving yourself will be reached.

Catherine Howley

Fairfield '22

Catherine is a senior Communication major at Fairfield University. In addition to majoring in Communication, she is also minoring in Education, Marketing, & Public Relations. Catherine has always had a love and passion for writing about women's fashion, lifestyle, and beauty. Upon graduating from Fairfield University, she hopes to continue, and further, her love of writing through working in the PR industry.
I am a Junior Marketing Major with a concentration in digital and social media marketing and a Finance minor at Fairfield University. I am a creative, driven, and hardworking individual who loves fashion and beauty.