This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you’re looking to try out something new, which doesn’t require a gym membership or spending ridiculous amounts of money on equipment, calisthenics might be just the thing for you. 

Originating in Ancient Greece, Calisthenics is a type of bodyweight-focused training that uses little or no equipment with key movements which include push-ups, pull-ups, and squat variations, including the Pistol and Cossack Squat. The best part? Calisthenics strengthens and utilises our body’s natural movements, so these exercises can be performed by everyone, regardless of athletic ability or previous experience.

Now, you may be wondering “what do I have to gain from Calisthenics?” 

The answer: Everything. The exercises used in calisthenics training help improve mobility, coordination, flexibility, and overall, functional strength. Prioritizing natural movements using only your body weight enables you to cultivate long-lasting muscle and joint health, reduces the risk of injury and makes the recovery process quicker. 

Exeter University Calisthenics Society

As previously mentioned, the beauty of calisthenics is that it caters to all ability levels and can be tailored according to your specific needs or requirements. Whether you’re a beginner who has never done a push-up in your life or a professional bodyweight competitor, there is always more to learn and ways to progress on your Calisthenics journey.  

Whilst there are many fitness myths surrounding calisthenics, including the well-known “it’ll make you bulky” or “males are biologically stronger – you’ll never be at the same level”, but Exeter University Calisthenics Society annihilates these. Whilst Calisthenics is indeed a largely male-dominated society, for the women who turn up ‘give as good as they get’ (in terms of determination and sheer badassery), gender poses no obstacle.  

This year the club has amassed an impressive number of members – an incredible feat for such a small society! General sessions are held twice a week (usually Tuesdays and Sundays) with Thursday being dedicated to specific technique-based workshops. All these sessions are held outside in both sunshine and rain, so there’s never a dull moment and always an opportunity to gain some hilarious material of your fellow Calisthenics partner attempting to do a pistol squat whilst slowly sliding in the mud. 

All members of the society are supportive, welcoming to new members, and extremely knowledgeable. From the dynamic and static stretches to the plethora of exercise variations suggested to cater to each member, there is always something for everyone to try or improve on. 

Furthermore, the Exeter Calisthenics society has joined forces with other universities to host intra-university workshops and competitions. This is an amazing achievement and offers the opportunity to learn from individuals who specialize in particular skills as well as connect with other students who’re just as passionate about calisthenics. 

If you think Calisthenics could be for you, check out EUCS Instagram for more details or drop by for a session to see what it’s like.  

Hello! I'm Maja, a third-year Psychology Student at the University of Exeter. I'm a huge fan of sports, reading (particularly fiction) and locating new places to eat some great food :) You can usually find me hidden away in a cafe corner watching a new series or listening to various music playlists x