This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Power Plate: that bizarre, noisy, spaceship-resembling machine that intimidates you from across the gym. You’ve always been curious, but are not willing to sacrifice your dignity by attempting to mount it. Well here at Her Campus we have summarised all you need to know about the mystifying machine and the Power Plate phenomenon that is beginning to evolve. So here’s the deal.

When 19th century Russian scientist Vladimir Nazorov suggested vibration training as a solution to build-up the depleted muscles of astronauts whilst they were in space, we’re sure he never thought his research would later provide basis for a 21st century fitness revolution, the Power Plate. No, we’re not talking about the kind of plate you pile food onto. We’re talking about a fitness machine with a plate-like platform that vibrates up and down approximately 25 to 50 times per second. This vibration results in the user experiencing involuntary reflex muscle contractions, which consequently occur 25 to 50 times per second instead of merely 2 or 3 as what is experienced in normal training. The muscle contracting is therefore having a high-speed more intense workout; makers claim that 10 minutes on the Power Plate is the same as doing 60 minutes of normal muscle training. The platform is typically used for squatting, press ups or tricep dips (see image below): however, almost any muscle group can be worked.

All sound a bit complicated and scientific? Long story short, usage of the Power Plate can improve muscle tone and strength. Girls: don’t be worried about bulking up. Yes weight and strength training can increase muscle mass but as a result of this fat is burnt much quicker and you can look leaner. In addition, the Power Plate is a winner as it saves time: just a 1 minute plank on it will give your abs the benefit of 6 minutes work. The machine also gives you different amplitude settings and different programmes to tailor its use to exactly what you want to achieve: there’s even a massage setting for those tight tendons and nasty knots. Who’d have thought you could relax in the gym?

However, aspects of it are indeed too good to be true. Popping to the gym and using the Power Plate alone will not necessarily make you burn fat as, like regular strength training, the machine doesn’t do cardio training so you’ll still have to hit the treadmill. You also won’t be able to just pick a couple of these up unless you’ve got a couple of grand to spare. The cheapest most basic Power Plate costs approximately £2000 (so basically your student loan) with the higher quality ones being around £7000. But that doesn’t mean you can’t hit the gym and use theirs.

It seems though that such disadvantages are outweighed by the pros: the Power Plate is somewhat of a sensation and many gyms and health centres provide its service throughout the UK. Its fitness benefits are also highly praised by professional sportsmen and women. Olympian Colin Jackson says that it’s “an amazing piece of equipment” and he wishes he “had the possibility of working on a Power Plate when (he) was competing”. A keen Power Plate user is the World No.1 women’s tennis player and one half of one of the world’s most famous twin teams, Serena Williams. Tennis as a sport requires strength and fitness training (“off-court” training) as well as simple skill practice (“on-court” training). Serena says: “Off-court training is as important to me as on-court. With the Power Plate, I’m able to accelerate my off court training and maximize the benefits.” And she’s won Wimbledon 5 times so she knows what she’s saying. If that hasn’t made you want to have a go on one of these, I don’t know what will.

But not all of us are avid sports players training for high profile sporting events. Some of us are simply trying to tone up or maintain our supermodel bodies- in the case of model Elle MacPhearson who claimed that after just 2 weeks of using the Power Plate, she could see a difference. Not quite sure how she could look any better already, but apparently it helped. Emma Bunton from the Spice Girls loves the time convenience of it, claiming that “short sessions” mean she can “fit fitness around the other demands of life”. Even Jonathan Ross is a fan saying: “Twice the workout half the time… I’m hooked.”

[pagebreak]

You may now be thinking “Yeah I’d quite fancy a bum like Baby Spice” or “I’d love abs like Elle”. You may be even frantically dialling the number of your local gym desperate to find out whether they have any of these magic machines. First, however, I’d recommend reading these tips to prevent both injury and odd looks from other gym-goers as you position yourself awkwardly on the Power Plate, quite clearly not using it correctly (see picture below).

1. Start slowly

Don’t just rush to the Power Plate, hit the high frequency and spend hours doing the plank. This will probably result in injury and subsequent dislike of the machine. The trick is to increase the frequency gradually, ideally starting with the lower amplitude settings and with around 10 minutes per overall session at a time (30 seconds per individual session), using the massage/stretching programmes as well as the resistance programme. The workout doesn’t need to be long: the Power Plate is a gem for those of us who are time-short but desperate for results.

2. Position perfect

There’s no point spending time on the Power Plate if you’re not doing it right. You have to adopt the proper position, ensuring you are putting tension on your muscles in order for you to develop strength, power, muscle tone and definition. Many gyms have posters or booklets next to the machines with diagrams that can enable you to make sure you’re doing it right.

3. Combination is the key

Unless you want to specifically focus on only one area, try to change things up a bit. Try both isolation exercises (those focusing on muscle ie. tricep dips or bicep curls) and compound exercises (those focusing on more than one muscle group ie. press-ups or squats). Focusing on the same thing can make you bored or even injured.

4. Drink water

Even if you don’t feel thirsty, its necessary that you drink water before, during and after your sessions. Your muscles will be contracting 30-50 times more quickly meaning you’ll need more water on board in order to maximise the benefits of the Power Plate.

So if this has got you itching to have a go the Power Plate is available at numerous gyms across the UK; local Fitness First Exeter has them available. So why not try it, it could be the boost to your work out you’ve been looking for.

Image Credits: pinterest.com